AVID to Final Cut - Files offlines...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ana dsouz
AVID to Final Cut - Files offlines...
on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:36:51 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my situation.
I have an AVID project that I have to transfer into Final Cut Pro 7.
To do that, I'm using the plug-in "AAF Transfer Boris FX".
It sounds working, because when I import the AAF into FCP7, my timeline appears with effects, and so on.

HOWEVER, every files are offlines. When I would like to reconnect media, it's not possible. I saw it's written "00002.MTS" (the original file) when the software is looking for the file.
I know FCP7 can't accept .MTS file, so I converted it into Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ.

So, my problem is : How can I reconnect media from new files Apple Pro Ress 422 ?
NB : I didn't change any file name from the beginning !

I can tell you more information of coure, I hope someone could help me quickly (it will be the best)

Have a nice day,

Anaïs

Hello, I like to share techniques, infos...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVID to Final Cut - Files offlines...
on Aug 13, 2015 at 7:09:42 pm

I've never used the Boris tool...I've used Automatic Duck. And what the Duck does is convert the Avid media in the sequence, to media FCP can read...ProRes, for example. IT does the conversion. Does Boris not do this?

There is no easy way to relink unless all four things listed are present: Clip name, Tape name (tapeless ID...basically the name of the backup folder it came from), timecode, and clip duration. Avid doesn't assign a TAPE ID when you bring in the footage, so that will be missing. All you'll have is clip name and timecode...and with AVCHD, that gets messy because every card starts the clip name over again...as well as timecode. So you can have several CLIP0001 files, and all start at 00:00:00:00.

But the bigger issue is that FCP cannot relink smaller clips to larger master clips. Meaning that small clip used in the cut, say a 5 second piece of CLIP0001...cannot relink to CLIP0001, because the start TC and duration are different. FCP can only link full length clips to full length media files. Unlike Avid that can link the clip to a larger file.

There is a third party tool that will do this, but I'm not sure it'll work as you'll have no tape ID, and you'll have several clips with the same name and same TC. THIS is why it's best to have the clips used in the sequence converted when you do the transfer. Does Boris do this?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: AVID to Final Cut - Files offlines...
on Aug 16, 2015 at 8:08:47 am

Auto duck also offers the option of NOT creating new media.
you connect to media you have created yourself.

primarily the file names have to match.
the timecode must be the same.
and reel# while not essential is important.

maybe your new files should include the MTS
so: 00002.MTS.mov

use a simple file re-namer to do this as a batch
there are plenty around.
my favourite, R-Name is hard to find these days.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]