FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture betaSP/digi using G5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisha Rigney
Capture betaSP/digi using G5
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:16:56 pm

Hello to all,

I have several Beta SP and Digibetas I would like to capture and make into Quicktime files. I have two Final Cut Pro systems, the first I use on a daily basis:

iMac system, 10.8.5, Intel Core i7, 3.4 GHz, 32GB w/ a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX, Promise RAID, FCP 7.

The 2nd:
Power PC G5 2.3 Ghz, 5GB, ATI Radeon 9600, 10.5.8, FCP 6.0.6, ATTO Express PCI UL4S, used when working with archival footage from SD shows.

Can I add a card or external box to my G5 or the iMac so I can connect to a beta deck? Would any other modifications need to be made? Since I edit daily on the iMac I'd prefer to use the G5 for the capturing station.

Thanks so much!
Lisha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capture betaSP/digi using G5
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:32:43 pm

The only way you can capture to the G5 is if you find a very old capture card that's compatible with it. And that machine is so old, I don't even know if I can job my memory enough to know which to get. I mean, I know the AJA Kona 2 would work...but that didn't have Component inputs, only SDI...so you'd have to get a playback deck with SDI outs. There are Decklink cards too....but again, I don't know specific models. You'll have to do some googling, and then look on eBay, and hope the one you get is still functional.

Does the iMac have Thunderbolt? If so, your prospects are better. And it must be Thunderbolt....MiniDisplayPort won't work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:57:38 pm

Hi Shane,

Yes, the iMac has Thunderbolt. I use one port for the Promise RAID and the 2nd for my extra monitor.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:05:55 pm

And the RAID will have loop through, so you can put a Thunderbolt IO device on that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:19:14 pm

I'm using a BlackMagic Design UltraStudio Express for my speakers and broadcast monitor. I can also connect a beta deck to the UltraStudio. Correct?

From the Blackmagic website:
"UltraStudio Express has built in 3G-SDI and HDMI connections and includes consumer RCA and professional BNC/XLR breakout cables for analog component/S-Video and composite, analog audio, genlock, AES/EBU audio, RS-422 deck control and more."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2015 at 11:19:18 pm

[Lisha Rigney] " I can also connect a beta deck to the UltraStudio. Correct?"

Yup! It's input and output. So if you have that, you are good to go.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Aug 6, 2015 at 11:44:22 pm

Thanks Shane!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]