FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - replacing audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Indy Shome
FCP 7 - replacing audio
on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:26:46 am

I recently inherited a feature doc that has been been largely been cut already.

One of the frequently used clips, the source being a long interview with one of the protagonists, has horrible sound.

I've taken the source clip's audio and fixed it in Logic, but what's the next step?

When I line up the new audio file to the original source clip, it syncs up.

I tried exporting the new audio file synched to the video file, but 'Reconnect Media' doesn't work because the metadata is off.

Even though the file seems to line up, when I look at the timecode on an edit of the old audio and try and use it to set the in-point on the new audio file, it's off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP 7 - replacing audio
on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:42:47 am

" 'Reconnect Media' doesn't work because the metadata is off."

in what way?
you could fix that, or force the re-conect,
but you'd want to know what you're doing.

are you having sound work done on the film after the edit?
are you ok leaving to for the the sound team to fix to problem.

nick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:59:45 am

Seems like it's time to either take the time to cut it in manually, reexport from Logic with the proper timecode if possible, or, do the following cheat.

Put the long clip in a new sequence that you manually set to the precise timecode that long clip starts at, then export the audio with the new timecode. Then you should be able to figure it out from there.

In the future, you should move all the audio from the bad clip to its own track, then export only that track, fix that in Logic, then replace the entire track.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Indy Shome
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:26:05 pm

Thanks for your responses and your advice.

In this case, after thinking things through, I just went through my original process once more and it worked. The difference was that last time it didn't let me force the reconnection. This time, after notice about missing rate and media start/end data, I was able to force a connection and this did the job.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:01:51 pm

" after notice about missing rate and media start/end data, I was able to force a connection"

erk!
they are the dangerous ones!
particularly media start/end

my guess is the new clip didn't match eh TC of the old
that's a very easy fix: just open it in the viewer, and go to Modify > Timecode,
and enter a reel# and TC

I would have made everything match the old clip exactly but appended AUDIO FIX or similar to the name

well, if it worked that's good.
have you checked every instance of the clip?

nick

Return to posts index

Indy Shome
on Aug 6, 2015 at 3:48:07 am

Yes I did check it, and everything seems to be on point!

I think I might have done something wrong exporting the first time. Anyway, glad it worked out, and thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]