FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripping DVD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Ripping DVD footage
on Aug 2, 2015 at 5:26:36 am

I'm editing an actor's reel in FCP7 and I ripped footage from a bunch of DVDs using a program called imedia converter. I ripped them a long time ago and am now thinking I made a mistake back when I did that.

I always thought commercial DVDs you buy were 24 fps if they were shot on film, and today when I was ripping footage from another dvd and chose to convert it to prores, I noticed the window that shows the source and target information and in the source part it said 29.97 and in the target it said 23.976, which was the default. So does that mean all the footage I ripped a long time ago from various dvds had the wrong frame rate setting? Was I supposed to change the default setting from 23.976 to 29.97? I assumed 23.976 was correct because these were movies shot on film.

I'm just going to leave it as it is since the damage is done and it would take way too long to try to re-create this reel, plus it looks fine to me. But I have one other question. I want to add some footage to this reel from another DVD of a TV show and in the source window I see it says 29.97 fps. Should I try to convert it to 23.98 so that it matches my sequence settings, or just leave it at 29.97?

I'd appreciate any info someone can give me that's relevant to this issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Ripping DVD footage
on Aug 2, 2015 at 11:47:33 pm

It's best to preserve the original frame rate when converting from the VOB files
then deal with it afterwards.
you get more control, and most likely better results.

i prefer using Mpeg Streamclip

nick

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
Re: Ripping DVD footage
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:58:53 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:37:38 am

MPEG Streamclip doesn't let you rip footage from commercial dvds.

If movies are shot at 24 fps and converted to 29.97 for DVDs, does this mean that accidentally ripping the DVD at 23.98 fps won't have noticeable dropped frames? Is it basically the same thing as just reverting it back to the original frame rate? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]