FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7: Will my baked clips conform to original footage in the online?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Raftery
FCP7: Will my baked clips conform to original footage in the online?
on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:56:30 am

I had to prepare a particularly tricky edit this week, in FCP7, for an editor in a very short space of time, so unfortunately I couldn't get all the information before putting it together. One of the issues I had was creating a multi clip of a live event. The event was filmed on a number of go pros, a sony fs7 and a few sony a7s's. Sound was also recorded separately. A few of the cameras stopped and started again during the event, so I ended up with multiple clips for each camera of this one continuous 1 hour event.

In order to create the multi clip, I put the offline clips for each camera on a timeline of their own and exported a quicktime movie file for each camera (video only, and with "self-contained" turned off). I then reimported those new clips back into the edit and made the multi clip from those.

My questions is will the multi clip refer back to the original masters in the online or will I need to create a new master for each camera as well?

I not sure how clear that all sounds. Thank you very much for your help!

Brian

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP7: Will my baked clips conform to original footage in the online?
on Aug 1, 2015 at 6:30:00 am

yes, that's clear,
but no, the exported files won't link back to the originals.

UNLESS you put them in the timeline according to their time codes, and give all clips from that angle the same reel#
but even them it'd be a long shot is my guess (i haven't tried to do this.) it might depend on your finishing system.

i would be very wary of using reference files in an edit.
better would be to create new self-contoaned master files, then you wouldn't need to go back to the originals.

FCP X can accommodate breaks and multiple clips within a single angle,
it might be worth trying that.

otherwise, my method for FCP7 would be to simply create multiple multiclips.
a new multiclip each time a there's a new clip.
OR create new master files as mentioned above.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]