FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a 1 hour long file on FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Garcia
Exporting a 1 hour long file on FCP7
on Jul 27, 2015 at 11:38:44 pm

I know 7 is a little out dated but that's what we've been using at the office.

We are exporting a long movie and after 12+ hours I finally got it. However, it won't open on quicktime or anything else. I can play it on VLC but it pauses after 9 mins. I can hit the space bar and it plays for a while on preview but pauses just the same.

I am exporting again, this time instead of h264 im doing apple proress 422 and I only have 22 hours remaining.

I was wondering if this is a common factor in exporting long video files? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What steps or hoops should i be aware of?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting a 1 hour long file on FCP7
on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:43:23 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:43:36 am

Is this export for archival purposes (a very good thing to do) or for delivery?

For Archiving, you can't beath this: change the codec of the edit timeline to ProRes 422 if necessary, then export. Prior to exporting, I'd also open the FCP Render Manager, find the project, delete all the renders, and re-render anything that needs it.

You can then use that file in Compressor to make the file for delivery... in the horizontal & vertical dimesions and codec required for your playback needs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 28, 2015 at 1:53:13 am

Danny,

It's pretty clear from your post that some aspect of your workflow was incorrect. I'd imagine that your inexperience with FCP most likely caused you to start the project incorrectly, which is the most common issue when starting out with the application.

In order to help you more info is required. The most basic info necessary to help you with any precision is:

1) What media type (codec) are you editing? If you don't know, what type of camera was used, and did you transcode that prior to editing, or are you editing native files?

2) What are your sequence settings? (Posting a screen grab would help)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Danny Garcia
on Jul 28, 2015 at 4:59:53 am

David,
actually, it is a reel from various different video makers with different techniques. so that might be what is bugging the export?
Should I compress all of them and throw them back on the timeline?
What would be an ideal sequence setting for combining mixed media formats?
Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:25:38 am

Your best bet in this case would be to transcode all files to a single "mezzanine codec," and I would recommend Pro Res 422. It's a high-performance codec, meaning faster renders. If you were mixing material before, especially if you were editing h.264 or mpeg4, those are not really file types supported in FCP 7, even though they seem to work, albeit extremely slowly and often with many other issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 28, 2015 at 12:10:28 pm

getting the majority of your media to match your sequence settings is important in FCP7

so unless you have added a lot of fx, then the majority of your timeline should not need rendering.
if it does then you're doing something wrong, and you have to stop and figure out what that is

if you HAVE a lot of fx, or even if you haven't,
its always smart to FULLY RENDER your entire timeline.
this means going to the Sequence Menu > Render All, and ticking "Full",
and hitting Option R when you want to render

once you've fully rendered, the export will be much faster,
and of course when you have to change one little part, you just re-render that bit,
and are ready for another fast-as-possible render.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]