FORUMS: list search recent posts

MultiClip editing in FCP 7 not exporting xml correctly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hodge
MultiClip editing in FCP 7 not exporting xml correctly
on Jul 23, 2015 at 3:20:00 am

Hello, I am editing an 8+ camera video in FCP 7 using create multiclip. Everything is fine with the process other than my 15" Macbook Pro getting a little bogged down with all of the footage but thats to be expected. After I have finished my pass and have "collapsed multiclip". (I do my color correction and effects in After Effects using FCPtoAE and xml exports). However once the xml is loaded into AE the cuts in each clip are not at the same points timecode-wise that the were when I cut them in FCP. Its loading the correct media file just at a different time in the clip, for each clip.

Is this normal, is there a workaround that allows me to take the whole edited video from FCP 7 to another editor without having to make a qt export?

FYI im using "export xml" in FCP and choosing xml Interchange format 5

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

2011 Macbook Pro 15" 8gb ram, FCP 7, CS 6, FCPtoAE - The clips are .R3D and 5DMK3 footage converted to Prores 422 LT - all footage is 24 fps

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MultiClip editing in FCP 7 not exporting xml correctly
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:36:22 pm

It could be a frame rate issue. You say you shot 24. Did you REALLY shoot 24, or died you shoot 23.976? And because FCP calls 23.976 by its nickname -- 23.98 -- did you mistakenly make a 23.98 comp in AE? AE calls a spade a spade -- it's not 23.98, it's 23.976.

Which would be just enough to give you fits.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Hodge
on Jul 24, 2015 at 12:05:38 am

Hey Dave thanks for the reply. That would make sense but no, all of the clips are uniform and the project/timeline setting in FCP 7 are conformed to the clips that are brought in so I dont think thats the issue.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 24, 2015 at 1:07:52 am

However, you didn't say anything about the actual frame rate. Oddly, 24 fps is EXTREMELY rare. 23.976 is far more common.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Hodge
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:29:55 am

Right on Dave, I actually did say and since I also said that all of the frame rates were uniform and that the project/timeline settings matched I feel like your line of troubleshooting has become stagnant. However If you have a suggestion that will move us forward im all ears.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 24, 2015 at 5:58:13 pm

Okay! If you say all the footage is at 24 actual frames per second that's great. I'm baffled WHY you'd do that, but great.

That leaves AE CS 6 and the OS. If you've updated your OS recently, you should also update AE. There are bug fixes for newer Mac OS's. You should also repair permissions in the OS. Macs are notorious for screwing up permissions when updating the OS.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]