FORUMS: list search recent posts

sony pxw x70 and FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Lewis
sony pxw x70 and FCP 7
on Jul 22, 2015 at 11:39:25 pm

Hello, I've had a lot of trouble finding an answer to this so thought I'd come to the experts.

We are considering buying a sony pxw x70 as a second camera, but I've not been able to discover whether or not the XAVC-L files will be able to import into FCP 7. I'm seeing some information out there about a plug in that was supposed to be released earlier this year, but it seems that allows import into FCPX.

Does anyone know for sure about FCP7?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: sony pxw x70 and FCP 7
on Jul 22, 2015 at 11:50:51 pm

Sorry, FCP 7 was discontinued over 4 years ago, and no products or software is being developed for it, even by camera makers. The only way to get footage from that camera to FCP is via the use of external converters, like EditReady by divergentmedia.com. Things that convert the footage to ProRes, for you to then import into FCP 7.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jack Lewis
on Jul 24, 2015 at 8:53:05 pm

Thanks so much, Shane. While that doesn't sound like an ideal workflow, I suppose it is no worse than what I'm doing now with my Canon xf100 (using the Canon plug in to import the files and then log and transfer to convert to prores). In the case with the Sony, I'll just be transferring to prores via an "external" means. Or, am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:01:26 pm

It's pretty much the same thing, only you aren't using FCP to do the converting. You are converting with an outside app, and then importing (drag and drop) into FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jack Lewis
on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:08:24 pm

Got it. Different workflow, but doesn't sound too bad, and I'm assuming no quality loss, correct? Sorry to badger, but do you have any experience with that particular camera?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:11:09 pm

Well, when you convert from one format to another, there's always some loss, but converting to ProRes is very nearly lossless, and a common practice. But, there'll be no quality difference if you did it with FCP vs if you did it with EditReady

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jack Lewis
on Jul 25, 2015 at 4:34:40 pm

Thanks again, Shane.

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 29, 2016 at 5:17:41 pm

Hi there,
Gawd, I dare dreaming someone may still answer here.
I'm in the same trouble as Jack. I just gave up my xf-100 and just hopped on the sony pxw x70+ 4K option, thanks to Shane encouraging and simple answer.
I converted my XAVC 4k 100mbt/s 25p dailies with Edit ready into reframed 2K 422 prores HQ but my dear ole' FCP 7 stutters badly when I'm trying to read them on the timeline.
Any clue ?
ZIllion thanks
Stephan

Sony PXW-X70 4K - Mac mini 10.8.5 16Go RAM - FCP 7
Edit Ready
Howdy from the Flanders, home of the Ch'tis where you find the best beer & french fries in the www!
I believe small IS beautiful, as my independant filmmaker purse !

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2016 at 7:23:59 pm

What hard drive is this stored on? connected how?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 29, 2016 at 11:25:35 pm

Hi Shane,
Can't believe you answered so fast !
My hard drive is a La Cie 3Go connected firewire 800
Thanks again
Steph

Edit Ready
Howdy from the Flanders, home of the Ch'tis where you find the best beer & french fries in the www !
I believe small IS beautiful, as my independant filmmaker purse !

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2016 at 5:48:13 pm

How full is the drive? FW800 should be fast enough for 2K PRoRes HQ...just barely. But it should handle one stream.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:26:59 pm

I've been editing in prores 422 HQ regularly with this gear, I dunno why FCP stalls like this.
Bitrates are 22,5 Mo/sec, shots from my xf-100 were about the same.
Now my original shots were 4K 100 mb/sec. Editready does scale this down too , doesn't it ?
I wish I could remain with fcp7 & mac mini mountain lion.
So far it's been peaches and cream. I've been editing 4K panasonic GH4 shots with this equipment !
Thanks again Shane to consider my humble "medieval" legacy query ;-)

Edit Ready
Howdy from the Flanders, home of the Ch'tis where you find the best beer & french fries in the www !
Small (gear) IS beautiful

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:34:37 pm

And ooops, my hard disk ain't 3Go but 1To, ahem. There's 200 Go left

Edit Ready - La Cie 1To fw800

Howdy from the Flanders, home of the Ch'tis where you find the best beer & french fries in the whole wide world ! Small (gear) IS beautiful

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:42:05 pm

[Stéphane Lambert] "Now my original shots were 4K 100 mb/sec. Editready does scale this down too , doesn't it ?"

I don't know...I havent' had to try. But looking at the converted media, what are the frame dimensions? What is FCP listing them as?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 30, 2016 at 8:57:07 pm

1920x1080
Another thing I don't get with Editready or maybe I have to go through the whole abc agin':
the metadata windows mentions dailies converted in prores are H.264 and I don't get this notion. So far, H.264 was a notion I associated with my final export in .mov from FCP, not at the early conversion stage from XAVC to prores, or am I mixing up everything here ?

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:13:48 pm

Hi again,
I'm wasting your time Shane and must apologise.
Everything went back into order. I erased the culprit shot on my timeline and put it back (it's a 10Go itw shot that lasts for 7mn. It stalled when I started cutting into it, still dunno why) . Now it's all working fine again in prores 422 HQ.
It's all a mystery to me. Anyway, I'm still under the charm of discovering this fantastic little camera. Images are amazing for the price and I hope with time I'll be able to master it better as well as Editready.
I also need to get back into basics about all those formats but I'm old school and it's not easy.
Again, thanks for your time and for helping lost souls ?
Stephan

http://www.vimeo.com/stephanelambert

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2016 at 10:14:44 pm

Glad you figured that out. I was stymied.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stéphane Lambert
on Oct 30, 2016 at 11:19:07 pm

Don't tell me !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]