FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing GoPro Frame Rates in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Messina
Mixing GoPro Frame Rates in FCP
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:56:03 pm

I am attempting to edit some GoPro footage in FCP 7 but I am trying to decide how to transcode my footage. I know my timeline has to match the settings of my footage. I just don't know if I should up convert or down convert these clips so they all match. Here are the GoPro clips I am working with:

1920 X 1080 30fps

1920 X 1080 60fps

1280 X 720 60fps

I was thinking of maybe setting my timeline to 1920 X 1080 30fps. Down converting the 60fps footage may look the best rather then up converting the 30fps footage? Should I use Mpeg Stream Clip or Compressor. Thanks for any and all input.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mixing GoPro Frame Rates in FCP
on Jul 21, 2015 at 7:42:55 pm

Those frame rates mix well, meaning you won't get odd repeated frames, or have frames removed in an odd cadence. 60fps to 30fps simply removes every other frame. So no need to convert the frame rate before bringing it in, FCP will remove the frames properly. Just convert the footage to ProRes 422 and you should be good to go.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anthony Messina
on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:15:43 pm

Thanks. Even when I bring the 1280 X 720 footage into FCP it will size it correctly?

I have used compressor before to make pro-res files. What do you think about using Mpeg Stream Clip? I figure I can run some tests but it sounds like many people use Mpeg Stream Clip for encoding GoPro stuff. Anyway, Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Anthony

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:18:24 pm

[Anthony Messina] "Even when I bring the 1280 X 720 footage into FCP it will size it correctly?"

It should automatically size up, if it doesn't just scale it manually. 720p to 1080p isn't that big of a push, so it looks fine.

[Anthony Messina] "I have used compressor before to make pro-res files. What do you think about using Mpeg Stream Clip?"

MPEG STREAMCLIP is fine, but I mainly use it when Compressor or other options don't work. For GoPro I use EditReady or Compressor...well, when I used FCP. Now if I use Premiere Pro I use GoPro Studio to convert to Cineform, and Avid...I AMA LINK and then transcode. FCP...Compressor is fine. MPEG STREAMCLIP is too.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]