FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores equivalent?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petr Michal
Prores equivalent?
on Jul 14, 2015 at 1:53:26 pm

Hi,

very simple question. I have a project (documentary) shot on various medias in various formats etc. (HDV, ACVHD...) and the exported file in the end must be Prores (not my idea, just fact I have to accept).

I am cutting all of this in Premiere Pro on PC, so it means (AFAIK) I am unable to export Prores - what should I export to so i can convert to Prores with least possible data/quality loss as possible? I read about avid DNxHD codec being sort of "equal" to Prores.

Is this the way to go? Or XML export from premiere to FCP (best i can get by is version 6) and export it there?

Thanks for replies in advance,

Petr

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Prores equivalent?
on Jul 14, 2015 at 5:34:27 pm

Exporting to DNxHD to take to a place to convert to ProRes is an OK idea. There is an issue with gamma shift when going from DNxHD to ProRes, so whoever does the converting needs to watch out for that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Petr Michal
on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:00:57 pm

Thanks Shane,
well, most likely I am doing converting - can you refer me to any thread/website where I can get better knowledge of this gamma shift problem (or better step by step what should I do). I guess I can convert it using programs comming with Apple FCP version 6, but is there any other 3-rd party application suitable for this?
Petr

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 14, 2015 at 7:58:18 pm

Don't know if I know the solution...or if there's articles out there on it. I did find this:

http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:pror...

But it's always something that I've had to fix when I brought it into another NLE or if the encoder allowed for it.

Other than FCP 6, what options do you have? Episode by Telestream? Squeeze (on mac), Compressor....?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Petr Michal
on Jul 15, 2015 at 6:41:44 am

Compressor, MPEG Streamclip (if this is any help)...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:05:59 pm

From Pr, I usually just export 10bit Uncompressed YUV 422. I have Cinec on the PC which can then make ProRes files. Uncompressed is universal and YUV means no gamma shift.

I can also bring the uncompressed into Compressor on my old MacPro which is still in the system.

Return to posts index

Michael Gibrall
on Jul 16, 2015 at 5:56:09 pm

Had a similar situation. Edited a film in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Needed ProRes 422 HQ.

So....

If hard drive space isn't an issue...render in UNCOMPRESSES QUICKTIME.
My 80 minute film was 700 GB uncompressed.
I ran that through MPEG Streamclip and the ProRes 422 HQ file looks GREAT. No color shifting, either.

Of course, you'll want plenty of space on a hard drive.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 16, 2015 at 4:52:55 am

Premiere Pro CC also offers GoPro Cineform on both PC and Mac. This codec is also very similar to ProRes and Avid DNX. It has both YUV and RGB settings.

Don't be fooled by the GoPro name. This codec is not the same highly compressed H.264 codec used by their cameras.

Return to posts index

Petr Michal
on Jul 16, 2015 at 8:08:54 am

thanks guys, this is a good hint!

Return to posts index

David Bhulapatna
on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:56:59 am

Hi everyone,

I will be switching back from Mac to PC very soon due to several reasons. Mostly because of the Cuda based and Perfomance ones. The only thing I will be missing is the Prores Codec. I read about the GoPro Codec here and I know that this Codec is TCFKAC (the Codec formerly known as Cineform) - that Codec was even superior then, when Prores was invented and I used it alot. It used to cost 500-1000$ per licence if I remember correctly. But it was limited to 1080p the time I switched to Mac.

1. Does anyone know if this is Cineform and is it still available in After effects and Premiere CC ?
1.a. Is it capable of 4K ?
2. Is there any other performant Codec you can advise (besides uncompressed of course) , when switching back to PC ?
3. Does the Prores Decoder for Windows still suck ?

cheers,
David

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2017 at 1:22:13 pm

[David Bhulapatna] "1. Does anyone know if this is Cineform and is it still available in After effects and Premiere CC ? "

Yes, and yes.

[David Bhulapatna] "1.a. Is it capable of 4K ?"

Yes.

[David Bhulapatna] "2. Is there any other performant Codec you can advise (besides uncompressed of course) , when switching back to PC ?"

Premiere Pro also has native support for Avid's DNxHD/DNxHR.

[David Bhulapatna] "3. Does the Prores Decoder for Windows still suck ?"

No. Adobe has a licensed, native ProRes decoder on Windows now. A QuickTime installation is no longer necessary for reading ProRes files.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Bhulapatna
on Feb 9, 2017 at 2:20:12 pm

Thank you very much ! That sounds pretty good...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]