FORUMS: list search recent posts

MiniDV import looks terrible/pixelated/lowres in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Dunning
MiniDV import looks terrible/pixelated/lowres in FCPX
on Jul 13, 2015 at 3:39:08 am

I have an older (~2007) Panasonic tape based camera (AG-DVX100B), which has always shot beautiful SD footage.

I shot footage at 30p and I have imported the tapes via FCPX Import, using the same camera to do the import.

I'm on a:

21.5" iMac, mid 2011
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
OS X 10.9.5

Software
FCPX 10.1.3
Compressor 4.1.3

The footage looks very pixelated and rough both in an FCPX timeline and the clip preview, but looks fine when the clip is opened in Compressor from the Finder: clean and without the artifacts I see in FCPX.

What I have tried:

I saw recommendations here and elsewhere to change the Quality setting in the Viewer window to "Better Quality" rather than "Better Performance", but it doesn't improve the quality at all.
I also saw a thread where people were trying to upres SD footage to HD and tried doing that, but it didn't help.
Within the FCPX browser, I control-clicked on a clip and chose "Reveal in Finder" and opened it in Compressor. In Compressor the clip looks GREAT. As it should. So this confirmed that the problem is how FCPX is either previewing / displaying or importing the clip.

I am including screenshots of the clips in the various settings to show the problem I am having. Note the red boxes as places to compare the pixelazation/interlaced appearance of the image.

Clip in FCP Project set up as NTSC SD at 29.97p:

Clip in FCP Project set up as 720p HD at 29.97p:

Clip as opened directly into Compressor from the Finder:

The file in the finder was imported using FCPX, looks good in Compressor, but looks poor in FCPX.

So, how can I get the footage in FCPX to appear and edit and output as it is in the original file and in Compressor?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: MiniDV import looks terrible/pixelated/lowres in FCPX
on Jul 13, 2015 at 10:23:47 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

This forum is for FCP7 holdouts

Return to posts index

Christopher Dunning
Re: MiniDV import looks terrible/pixelated/lowres in FCPX
on Jul 14, 2015 at 3:06:44 am

Oh, whoops. I'm sorry. My bad.

I worked for years in FCP7 and still love it, but was pushed into FCPX by a client job and have adjusted.

Go FCP7!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]