FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Confusion: Capturing 23.98 psf HDCAM tapes. Quicktime saying 23.85??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan DeMayo
FCP 7 Confusion: Capturing 23.98 psf HDCAM tapes. Quicktime saying 23.85??
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:17:49 pm

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with FCP 7. It used to work fine. I've tried repairing permissions and trashing settings, but this bug still remains.

I am capturing 23.98 psf HDCAM tapes to ProRes 422 @ 23.98 psf. All settings appear to be correct. However, recently, I've noticed that all of my captured ProRes files display below 23.98 frames (23.85, 23.76, etc.).

I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue before?

We were hoping to capture to ProRes 422 (maintaining Captioning), dump that file into MacCaption, and spit out an SCC file. However, when using these files that display the incorrect framerate, MacCaption displays an error...basically saying that the file and the time code mode mismatch. Something along the lines of: file is 23.85 and the timecode mode is set to 23.98

Any ideas or help is appreciated. It's a head scratcher. I'm going to attempt the same thing on another one of our FCP 7 machines. Hopefully I have better results on that machine. I'm thinking it's an issue with our Mac, or perhaps the Kona 3 card.

Thanks All.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Confusion: Capturing 23.98 psf HDCAM tapes. Quicktime saying 23.85??
on Jul 8, 2015 at 10:48:14 pm

Odd. Well, if you need to, open the files in Cinema Tools and CONFORM them to 23.98. Odd that they didn't capture that way to begin with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2015 at 11:29:54 pm

If it is quicktime player that is showing these rates then check what FCP thinks the frame rate is QT player is not reliable in reporting frame rates but FCP is.

With regard to the Kona is it and the HDCam player getting the same reference? Are the Kona drivers up to date with the OS. Are you running a recent OS or still on Snow Leopard?

Return to posts index

Dan DeMayo
on Jul 10, 2015 at 6:26:41 pm

Hi Shane & Michael,

Thank you both for your responses.
Shane, I tried conforming in cinema tools, which resulted in QT showing the file as 23.98...However, it strips the captioning data once conformed.

Michael,
We are using LION on one Mac & it may be Snow Leo on the other...either way both systems end up with QT showing files as "less than 23.98".

FCP says the show is 23.98 as it should. The big issue is that MacCaption will see the file the same way that QT sees it. (As being less than 23.98)

Both the deck and the MacPros are getting proper reference. The only thing I have yet to try is using a different HDCAM deck. I suppose that will be my next test as soon as I am able to free one up.

Thank you both!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]