FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed Question?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Speed Question?
on Jul 8, 2015 at 8:46:49 am

Opinion on iMac speed please"

"Would getting another 4gb ram improve a 'slow and jerky' Hi Def playback problem significantly? Or would I need more VRAM and or a new Graphic Card for Hi Def? Or is that even possible on an iMac made in 2009?"

I have a 21.5 in iMac from 2009. Only 4 GB ram, but can take a total of 8. There's 256 VRAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400.

Editing now using Multi Camera and my time line plays very *start* stop* and lags behind all the time.
Yes, still running FCP 6.0.6.

Thanks...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Speed Question?
on Jul 8, 2015 at 9:50:45 am

What sort of hard drive is this playing back on? Connected how? What is the codec of footage?>

For multicam, you need a hard drive fast enough to play back multiple streams of video at once. A single FW800 drive can't do that. Maybe a RAID 0 FW800, but not if 3 streams or more of ProRes 422. For that you need eSATA, or Thunderbolt...2-4 Drive RAID.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:13:59 am
Last Edited By Jonny Cates on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:22:25 am

Shane, I don't really know what to do.
I don't know what the speed of my external drive is. It's just a Seagate Go Flex Desk 2 TB. The drive says its upgradable to USB 3.0. Unfortunately, my 21.5in iMac is USB 2.0 only with Firewire 800 as well.

I don't know if this computer can be brought up to 3.0. Is there such an upgrade? For the moment, I'm stuck with this hardware set-up.

Would increasing ram help at all with an issue like this? And if I did acquire a faster external drive, how would it be hooked up to a machine that didn't support thunderbolt or even 3.0?

The closest faster connect I have -- I guess would be the firewire 800 port. Could that be adapted to a faster external drive? I just need some kind of work around until I get this job complete. I'm doing a music video for an artist on a 3 min 15 sec song.
Thanks for any input!

Oh yeah, everything is Pro Res 422 1920 x 1080 24p

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 9, 2015 at 12:19:59 pm

Are you using a USB 2 or Firewire 800 external drive?

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:51:45 pm

Roger....I have been using USB 2 for some time, mostly in the standard def world. Now it's Hi-Def for me. Has not been a major problem as long as I don't stack multiple HD footage. I been getting away with a single HD camera view for some time on USB 2. Not now. My work is starting to escalate into multiple HD camera takes.

Thanks...

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:41:16 pm

[Jonny Cates] "The drive says its upgradable to USB 3.0. Unfortunately, my 21.5in iMac is USB 2.0 only"

That's your issue right there. USB 2 isn't good enough for playback of video, much less multiple streams of video. It's fine for storage, but not video playback. You need a two drive RAID, FW800 at least. Even then, that might not be fast enough...but it's tons better than USB2.

There is no way to upgrade your computer to have USB3.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:45:28 pm

Thanks Shawn....you are saying that I need to use the FW 800 port to connect a "two drive raid?"

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jul 9, 2015 at 8:54:51 pm

Wow!...looks like this is a go for me. Wasn't for sure what to get, this make it clear for me.

Thanks a lot Shane!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]