FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace clips but keep original audio in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Dollar
Replace clips but keep original audio in FCP7
on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:44:54 pm

I can't find any answers to this online. I would like to replace just the video portions of clips in my timeline. I've imported the new color graded clips and when I try to "Replace Clip" the audio appears to be affected as well - I get the red + - signs indicated that the video and audio are out of sync. I've tried several things but keep getting the same result. Is there a way to replace just the video and keep the timeline audio?

Although now while writing this out the thought occurred to me that I should make sure the playheads for the old clip and the new clip are at the exact same spot. Should I try that?

P.S. This seems like it's going to be very time-consuming, replacing every single clip with the color graded files. I'm sure there's a more efficient workflow.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Replace clips but keep original audio in FCP7
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:32:13 am

Most grade round trips don't have to be manually relinked. How have you done the send and return and what did you use to do the grade.

Specifically to your problem you need to unlink all the clips first so that you can replace video only.

Return to posts index

Andrew Dollar
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:50:59 am

I gave the colorist a backup external hard drive with all of my files (capture scratch, XML, etc.). He gave me back the hard drive today with just graded clips. He used DaVinci Resolve. He says he can get me an XML if I need it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:56:21 am

Yes get the return xml. It will automagically open with the grade clips linked.Usually a colourist will do a timeline without the audio - just a stereo mix file for reference.(make sure it is just xml not the FCPXML variant for FCP7

Then unlink your old sequence and copy paste all the audio from the original timeline.

Return to posts index

Andrew Dollar
on Jul 6, 2015 at 2:11:41 am

Thanks, I'll try all of this!

Return to posts index

Andrew Dollar
on Jul 7, 2015 at 2:21:58 am

Okay I got the XML file but when I import it into FCP7 I get a log of error messages because the paths all point to the colorist's directory. I'm not given an option to reconnect the media (I'm guessing because he exported in FCPX but I'll have to confirm with him). So it seems like I would have to edit the XML in TextEdit and replace all the paths, which I think would be far more time-consuming than manually replacing each clip in FCP7. Plus I tried renaming one of the paths and kept getting an error saying it was bad/non-compliant form.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]