FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 6 / SD Cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Hansen
Final Cut Pro 6 / SD Cards
on Jul 1, 2015 at 12:01:56 am

I have FCP 6 on my Mac Pro, running OS X. Want to use camera with SD Cards for my next video project's source footage, but can't get a definite answer on wether or not FCP 6 will recognize an SD Card reader to capture the video file. Any help...?
Dave

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 6 / SD Cards
on Jul 1, 2015 at 6:07:54 am

SD cards is simply a storage media type. What's important is what is the type of footage on that card. What camera was used to shoot it? Depending on the model, and whether or not the plugin is available for it...and if the cam out after your very old version of FCP...this may or may not work. The basic workflow is to fully back up the SD card, so you can reuse it. Then use LOG AND TRANSFER in FCP to bring the footage in as ProRes 422. BUT, you might need a specific Log and Transfer plugin for that camera, and that might no longer be available, as FCP classic (FCP 7 and earlier) was discontinued 4 years ago, and the newer version doesn't use Log and Transfer.

For a more complete workflow, watch this tutorial.

But, as I said, if the camera is new (within the last 4-5 years new) or the long and transfer plugin isnt' available, then you need to look at third party converters, like EditReady. HOWEVER...those require newer OS versions (10.9, 10.10)...and FCP 6 doesn't run on those newer versions, so you'll need a newer computer to do the conversion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: Final Cut Pro 6 / SD Cards
on Jul 1, 2015 at 4:17:00 pm

As Shane mentioned, SD cards are pretty much platform independent but dealing with their contents is where problems show up. With newer SDXC cards there can be a problem. Someone running FCP6 on a PPC Mac would not be able to read an SDXC card. FCP6 on an Intel Mac, no problem with an SDXC compatible reader. SDHC work equally well on either PPC or Intel. It's also good practice to lock the card before inserting it into the computer to prevent anything being written to the card by the computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]