FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH3 Stereo interview audio > FCP7 + underscore > YT or Vimeo > no audio on iPad/iPhone except on headphones!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Simpson
GH3 Stereo interview audio > FCP7 + underscore > YT or Vimeo > no audio on iPad/iPhone except on headphones!
on Jun 28, 2015 at 10:58:45 am

This could 101 stuff, but I'm having the most peculiar issue with an interview video I'm trying to finish, and in some ways have finished, but as most people watch youtube on a smartphone without headphones I have a major glitch, or it maybe just something I've not noticed in the past.

Okay - so I'm shooting an interview in a noisy environment with a GH3 using a Rode NTG2 directly to camera through an XLR to 3.5mm connector (not ideal I'd rather have used an external recorder but it was run and gun). But audio is fine.

So I'm recording MOV files. I ingest them to Mac Pro and batch convert them MPEGStreamClip to PRO RES 422 48Hz. Bring them into FCP7. Audio is a stereo pair. Do my edit, add an underscore sweeten the interview audio with my usual EQ and Compression settings, still all good to my ears. On my Yamaha HS7 monitors the mix is okay, audio peaks -6dB, upload to YouTube for the client to approve the final edit and underscore selection, it's now the audio issue emerges. The music is clear but on iPad the interview audio is tinny, poppy and glitchy, clicky and the interview audio is none existent on iPhone, there's just a little electronic click pop suggesting the audio is there but not being played, while the music is fine. I go back to my Mac fire up Youtube click play the interview audio and music mix is fine. I plug headphones into both iPads and iPhones and suddenly the mix is restored.

So my conclusion currently is iPad & iPhones are single speakers I'm presuming the slice through stereo spectrum Apple devices take is at the centre. Usually I'm working with a mono interview and park it at the centre of the mix, so I'm thinking this is something to do with the stereo interview audio. So before I blunder into my timeline to fix my stereo interview audio could someone give me a yes/no on my conclusion and perhaps point the correct way to fix?

Apologies if this is covered in a post somewhere or another forum - I have looked.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
Re: GH3 Stereo interview audio > FCP7 + underscore > YT or Vimeo > no audio on iPad/iPhone except on headphones!
on Jun 28, 2015 at 7:14:29 pm

Help. I seem comepletely unable to fix this with panning, even exporting mono gets a interview audio void.

I'm completely bamboozled by a) why this happened, and more importantly b) why I can't fix this.

why I can't get the interview audio into the centre of a mix. I have I guess two idnetical mono inteview sound files one panned full left -1, one full right 1, moving either to 0 it just disappears. I've even exported a full pro res file imported it into Final Cut on another Mac Pro and tried it there same thing.

Mayday.Mayday.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: GH3 Stereo interview audio > FCP7 + underscore > YT or Vimeo > no audio on iPad/iPhone except on headphones!
on Jun 28, 2015 at 10:29:04 pm

Sounds like the interview audio is out of phase on one channel so it cancels in mono.

If that is the case duplicate your timeline, unlink the stereo interview audio and delete one channel. Pan the other to centre and that should fix it.

The source for that is probably the cable to the camera not being wired correctly.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:33:41 pm

Thank. You Michael.

That worked. Odd I'm sure I tried that early but...

Anyway job done (literally) on to the next one.

C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]