FORUMS: list search recent posts

The movie file ".*.mov" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KJ Stubbs
The movie file ".*.mov" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly
on Jun 27, 2015 at 11:31:02 pm

I used Media Manager to "move" all files for a project from my scratch disk to my laptop disk, so that I could edit on the road. Oh, man, am I sorry I did that.
Now, when I try to open the project, FCP gives me two, equally mystifying error messages.
First, it says "The movie file Abby_8_CUAbby.mov cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly." Then, when I click "Search," an open file Finder dialog box opens up with the named file (i.e., Abby_8_CUAbby.mov) sitting right there smack in the middle of it. I click on it, click OK, and then FCP takes a minute and tells me that the *next* file "cannot be found." I click OK, and there it is, right in the Finder/dialog box window. This happens over and over again.
The second is when it says that the movie file "Torin and Justin alo#AA6153.mov" cannot be found, when it is trying to reconnect to the video for a file, and a clip, named "Torin and Justin alone_1a_Master.vid2.mov." I tried renaming the latter file to the former name, and Finder wouldn't let me! It said the name was already taken! I had to use Terminal to rename the file.
I tried saving the project as a new one. It did not help.
How do I de-ghost this project?

mac osx 10.6.8
Final Cut Studio 6

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: The movie file ".*.mov" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly
on Jun 28, 2015 at 2:10:43 am

What you have discovered is what is referred to as "illegal characters." You should never use #, _, %, etc, in a file name. Now you know...

FYI, if you ever bring your project to a finishing editor, colorist, etc., the same thing is liable to happen. So, the moral of the story is, use dashes (-), as they are legal, but NEVER ever use other non-alpha numeric characters, or you will encounter these types of issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: The movie file ".*.mov" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly
on Jun 28, 2015 at 3:59:39 am

This happens if you export a Quicktime Reference movie, and reimport it to edit...and then move the media or remove the media, or try to open the QT reference on a computer without that media present. The QT reference file REFERENCES that QT file. Move it, and it can't find it. And there's no way to RECONNECT a QT reference movie to a clip once you moved it.

Delete those references from your project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

KJ Stubbs
on Jun 28, 2015 at 6:44:43 pm

Shane: That is exactly what I did, with the QT reference movie. I had no idea.
Since I cannot "reconnect" to it, what on earth do I do? I tried renaming the actual video file -- i.e., renaming "Torin and Justin alone_1a_Master.vid2.mov" to "Torin and Justin alo#AA6153.mov" -- but the FCP project did not recognize it. Why not?

mac osx 10.6.8
Final Cut Studio 6

Return to posts index

KJ Stubbs
on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:03:31 am

There is no easy way around it. Basically, after starting final cut pro I hit [Esc] every time the error message appeared, and then clicked on the "missing" file, until the messages were all gone and the project opened. Then I deleted any browser object that was linked to a reference movie, and any browser object that was unused. I got it down to three browser clips that still gave me the error message on opening, and the [Esc] + click-on-the-"missing"-file process is fast enough that I could still use the project with the three annoying errors at file open.

mac osx 10.6.8
Final Cut Studio 6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]