FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting 16:9 in final cut (old school problem)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barnes
exporting 16:9 in final cut (old school problem)
on Jun 27, 2015 at 4:54:11 pm
Last Edited By Ricky Barnes on Jun 27, 2015 at 5:02:42 pm

Hi: I know most of you are years beyond this issue, so hopefully, you can dig deep into your memory banks. I'm finishing an SD project (long story). I shot it in 16:9, edited in 16:9, and now, when I export in QT, it makes a 4:3 picture. My sequence setting is at 720x480. I've tweaked around endlessly, and still, the only way I can make the 16:9 movie is to use quicktime conversion (which of course, re-renders). I know there is something I'm missing. ?
Thank you, Rick
(PS: Do I simply need to render the QT movie, then make the 16:9 copy through Quicktime?

By the way, it FCP 6.06 (I know, Iknow...)

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
Re: exporting 16:9 in final cut (old school problem)
on Jun 28, 2015 at 11:21:14 am
Last Edited By Edwin Street on Jun 28, 2015 at 12:23:52 pm

Final Cut Pro 6 has always had this problem as long as I can remember. Apple fixed it in version 7.

This is how you get around the problem:
1) Open the exported file in QuickTime Pro
2) Press Command+J to Show Movie Properties
3) Click the Video Track then Visual Settings tab
4) Untick Preserve Aspect Ratio
5) Change the Scaled Size to 854x480
6) Press Command+S to save it

When I was using FCP6 I had to do this with all my 16:9 videos that I was editing in SD.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jun 28, 2015 at 4:00:25 pm

Hi Edwin:

Thank you so much for the fix!! I really appreciate it. I will give it a go.

Very truly,
Rick

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:36:06 am

Hi Edwin:

Thank you so much for the fix!! I really appreciate it.

Hi Edwin:

I gave this a try and when I "save" it, nothing happens. I can "save as", with those new changes, but again, nothing happens. I can make the change and "export as a QT movie ... it then takes a bit of time, and does go widescreen, but degrades mightily (unuseable). So I've been tinkering around with other settings in both Quicktime and Final cut... but alas, nothing so far. Dratted FCP 6.06!
I've got a big feeling I'm missing in important step in your directions... ? Thanks again!
Rick

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jun 30, 2015 at 2:08:51 am

He Edwin:

What seems to be a workable solution is to just change the settings in (Export as QT movie) to Custom, then I put in the the 854 x 480. Of course, this does take longer to output, than normal, but I'm assuming it's still the high quality of the QT movie. It worked and looks pretty decent.

Thanks again!
Rick

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:37:58 pm

Hi Edwin:

Thank you so much for the fix!! I really appreciate it.

Hi Edwin:

I gave this a try and when I "save" it, nothing happens. I can "save as", with those new changes, but again, nothing happens. I can make the change and "export as a QT movie ... it then takes a bit of time, and does go widescreen, but degrades mightily (unuseable). So I've been tinkering around with other settings in both Quicktime and Final cut... but alas, nothing so far. Dratted FCP 6.06!
I've got a big feeling I'm missing in important step in your directions... ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]