FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD To 720 x 576 / 50i Conversion (AVID Meridien Compressed Codec) - EBU Technical Standards?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Riabov
HD To 720 x 576 / 50i Conversion (AVID Meridien Compressed Codec) - EBU Technical Standards?
on Jun 26, 2015 at 4:30:14 pm

Hello,

I recently submitted my work to Russian TV, and this is the response I received: "from time to time a level of sound is changing, RGB, some visual images are darker than normal (level of a white color is lower than it must be), sometimes a footage was repeated, so picture on the screen is flickering."

I'm having issues - not with the conversion (I downloaded the proper codec for Compressor) but how to check the video levels, permitted audio levels, etc. Can I do it in FCP?

I am posting below four screenshots of my work process.

Also,

I got the following specifications from them: "Audio Permitted Maximum Level 0Db=-18DbFS
Digital video after conversion to analog serial signals must correspond to EBU Technical Standard N15- 1989, EBU Technical Standard N15 Supplement-1990.
Video Levels: white Ymax = 700±20 mV
black Ymax = 49 mV"

What is the best way to set these specifications : YUV Video Levels, White/Black Max, Etc.

What do they mean by screen is flickering? Does this have to do anything at all with interlacing, upper-lower field dominance?

I'd appreciate any help, as this project is due asap.

Many, Many Thanks!
-Boris

Specifications:

My Original HD Timeline Specs:

23.98 Pre Compressor Conversion Specs:

25fps Post Conversion (What I Sent Them)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HD To 720 x 576 / 50i Conversion (AVID Meridien Compressed Codec) - EBU Technical Standards?
on Jun 27, 2015 at 7:20:29 am

Well, first off, unless you are a skilled audio mixer, if this is something for broadcast, it's best to hand over the mix to a professional, who knows how to read those specs, and deliver a broadcast mix. I do a lot of my own mix on many projects, but broadcast, I hand over to the pros. I don't even know what half of that means. SO that covers "from time to time a level of sound is changing"

[Boris Riabov] "RGB, some visual images are darker than normal (level of a white color is lower than it must be)"

Is your show in the YUV, or RGB color space? Broadcast needs to be YUV. And they are saying that some of the footage is too dark, too dark for broadcast. Needs to be brightened. Did they give you specific timecodes? And have you color corrected for broadcast before? Know what the ceiling and floor need to be for broadcast programs? You can't go beyond those limits, or QC (Quality Control) will FAIL the program.

[Boris Riabov] "sometimes a footage was repeated, so picture on the screen is flickering"

By the sound of it, it means you have a frame rate mis-match. Like you are using 23.98 footage in a 29.97 timeline, and so frame are repeating. That causes a slight jitter to the footage. If you need to mix these frame rates, and your deliverable is 29.97 interlaced, it's easy. Convert the 23.98 to 29.97 and bury the frame rate in the 3:2 pulldown...in the fields. I have Compressor settings I can share, just for this. So this needs to be done to the footage BEFORE you cut it into your timeline. If your footage is 23.98, and your show is 29.97 PROGRESSIVE? Then nothing can be done, can't hide that frame repeat in the fields.

Ah, but I see the deliverable is 25i. So, what are your original sequence settings? And do you have off frame rate footage in there?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]