FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM maxed for FCP7 but for other apps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mickey Power
RAM maxed for FCP7 but for other apps?
on Jun 25, 2015 at 5:36:48 am

I'm still working mostly on FCP7 because of project continuity but keen to know if adding a little bit more RAM might help the overall situation on my Mac Pro 2010 6 core. It already has 16gb and sure 4gb or so will do FCP7 fine, but I mostly always have my browser and lots of pages open as well as photoshop, Mpeg streamclip, MS Word, Quicktime.

If I invested in a matched pair of 2 x 8gb sticks to replace two of the 4gb sticks, would that help things along, especially since my projects are mostly long form (40min plus) with lots of mixed footage AND jpeg stills?

Whenever I get to the fine cut of a project with XDCAM video, stills and text on up to five layers in a sequence with perhaps 5-6 sequences, life really slows down.

I'm also looking at upgrading the processor and graphics card. My system drive is a SSD and the media sits on two internal disk drives raided together.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
Re: RAM maxed for FCP7 but for other apps?
on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:48:32 pm

FCP 7 only addresses 4GB of ram, max - so adding more ram for the sake of extending the available amount for the application is pointless... FCX or PP is a different story.

But, as any good tech will tell you, overall, more ram is usually better than less, all things being equal, for overall system performance, etc...

I have the same machine, and I run 32 gig now in it, which I think is fine for Mavericks (which is what that machine is running, never upgraded to yosemite) Make a bit of difference, but not to much, as I was running 12gig prior I think... I can open larger files in photoshop quicker, etc... things like that.

every OS seems to want more RAM too... so, it's always a tight rope walk for most of us that don't buy a machine and put 64gig of RAM in it off the bat...

My 2 pennies

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]