FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to choose between PP or FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Siobhan Elise
Need to choose between PP or FCPX
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:02:20 pm

Hi All,

I'm a regular visitor to Creative Cow but rarely post. Today I need to ask for people's honest thoughts on an opportunity that has been presented to me.

At work I am being offered to choose a new computer (PC or MAC) as well as my chosen editing software.

For the last 7 years I have been a macbook pro user with Final Cut 7 and then FCPX. Before that I used AVID for 3 years on a PC.

I found the transition from FCP7 to X quite disappointing as many of the "pro" features seemed to be lacking but other features soon won me over such as the magnetic timeline, background rendering whilst continuing to edit, quick retiming options and of course the royalty free library and helpful plug-ins you can source widely across the net.

However, since I upgraded my software to Yosemite I am not "getting on" so well with FCPX. I am not a fan of the new media library where everything is dumped within it, including my projects (although I know I can group clips). And my AE CS6 software will not run on the OS and Photoshop keeps crashing and freezing my laptop. I have never had a problem like this before Yosemite.

Now in work I am faced with the opportunity to upgrade my hardware and software for editing. I do travel quite a lot which is why I have been editing with a laptop, I would probably need this to remain the same.

What I would like help with is whether I should stick with FCPX or whether anyone with PP and FCPX knowledge could provide me with a fair comparison and recommendation with the workflow and use.

I will be editing a variety of projects; from news and promotional videos, feature length interviews, live event highlights, music videos, and feature length online TV shows.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Siobhan

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Need to choose between PP or FCPX
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:05:14 pm

When Apple went from FCP7 to FCPX we looked at X and decided it was not for us. We didn't want to start over with an immature software. We needed to continue working as we were and continue progressing with improvements to workflow, not stepping backwards. The transition from FCP7 to PP-CC2014 was as smooth as could be expected. It was just as mature as FCP7 and has progressed very nicely since then. Premiere does have its quirks and work-arounds, like FCP7 did, but we feel it is the best move we could have made faced with the demise of FCP.

We use desktop MacPros so I can't comment on laptop choices. Our next upgrade will be to the 5K iMacs.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2015 at 7:12:47 pm

Premiere Pro is the most similar to the way FCP 7 worked. And is closer to how Avid worked (basic editing with timeline and footage organization) than FCX. But what is most comfortable to you? If you have trouble grasping FCX, use Premiere. If you think you'll eventually get FCX...then keep trying. Some people say it takes a while before it clicks.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:13:47 pm

I agree that you should go with whatever software you are most comfortable with. In terms of PC vs Mac, keep in mind that you can use Premiere and Final Cut on a Mac; you're stuck using Premiere (of the two options) on a PC.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:19:49 pm

If you're on the road a lot, is the need for Premiere creative cloud to "phone home" for re-authorization at regular intervals a potential problem?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:30:16 pm

[Mark Suszko] "If you're on the road a lot, is the need for Premiere creative cloud to "phone home" for re-authorization at regular intervals a potential problem?"

I travel quite a bit for work, and this has never been a problem for me. From the Creative Cloud FAQ [link]:

"Do I need to be online to access my desktop apps?

No, the desktop applications in Creative Cloud, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, are installed directly on your computer, so you don’t need an ongoing Internet connection to use them.

An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.

Annual members can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode. Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 23, 2015 at 6:16:00 pm

I'm sure the grace period helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved