FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Desktop Mac Died, Final Cut Pro Missing After Doing Time Machine Restore on new Desktop Mac! Assistance Please!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda Taylor
My Desktop Mac Died, Final Cut Pro Missing After Doing Time Machine Restore on new Desktop Mac! Assistance Please!
on Jun 18, 2015 at 9:40:24 am

Recently my Mac desktop machine crashed and had a disk failure of some sort. I was not able to get it to reboot no matter what I tried (couldn't get past the grey startup screen). It was a 7 year old machine and was a bit underpowered, so I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to a new 27" Mac with all the bells and whistles (cost me almost $3k).

Of course, I did regular Time Machine backups of my old machine. However, when I booted my new Mac and did a Restore from the Time Machine backup, FinalCut Pro X was totally missing. In the dock, where the FinalCut icon should be, there is only a question mark. It is missing from the Applications folder, too. I'm not sure where the files would be found, but I have a very terrible feeling about this. Mainly I used Final Cut to make videos for my business and I really do need the project files!!!!

I did not back up Final Cut in any other way (was I supposed to????? -- Final Cut always does "automatic backups" and I always ran Time Machine assuming that it was all backed up!)

Please tell me that I will be able to get my Final Cut files somehow! If I re-install FinalCut Pro X, will the files be found on my computer somewhere after the re-install? Or will I need to try to pull them off of my old semi-corrupted machine (and if so, where would I look for them?)

I would appreciate instructions and/or links to instructions.

Trying to stay calm........

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: My Desktop Mac Died, Final Cut Pro Missing After Doing Time Machine Restore on new Desktop Mac! Assistance Please!
on Jun 18, 2015 at 12:29:37 pm

[Linda Taylor] "Please tell me that I will be able to get my Final Cut files somehow! If I re-install FinalCut Pro X, will the files be found on my computer somewhere after the re-install?"
Go to the App Store, sign-in, and install it again. That's all you need to do. Everything will be placed exactly as it was on your old Mac.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Linda Taylor
Re: My Desktop Mac Died, Final Cut Pro Missing After Doing Time Machine Restore on new Desktop Mac! Assistance Please!
on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:32:03 pm

I did that -- and some of the Apple apps are in there (like iMovie for instance, which wasn't on the dock either). But FinalCut is NOT THERE!!! Yes, I legitimately bought it about 2.5 years ago. What should I do? Should I contact Apple?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:34:36 pm

[Linda Taylor] "FinalCut is NOT THERE!!! Yes, I legitimately bought it about 2.5 years ago. What should I do? Should I contact Apple?"
Did you buy it under a different Apple ID? You must use the same Apple ID that you originally purchased it with. Try logging out and back into the App Store. I would definitely contact Apple if this doesn't work. All of your Apple software should be available in the App Store for download. (I've done this lots of times)

~jr

Return to posts index

Linda Taylor
on Jun 18, 2015 at 8:48:03 pm

Yeah, I was wondering whether perhaps I had a different Apple ID a few years ago. Maybe I did. I will look through my notes and see if I can find that info.

Return to posts index

Linda Taylor
on Jun 18, 2015 at 9:48:19 pm
Last Edited By Linda Taylor on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:58:31 am

OK YES!!!! Thank you, I had bought it under a different Apple ID in 2012. OK, so I downloaded it again.

Next problem: when I start FinalCut and it shows me a message about libraries, what should I do? When I chose "update later" it did not find and load all of my old project files or events.

On my new machine, all of my FinalCut projects are stored in the Movies>FinalCut Projects folder. What should I do to copy them onto the new version of Final Cut that I just downloaded?

I found out that I was using an old version of Final Cut Pro X on my old machine. Now there is a new version that I downloaded onto my new machine -- but apparently the new version of Final Cut Pro X has a different file structure that uses libraries. Things are organized differently in the new version.

So how do I get this new version of Final Cut to "see and access" the projects and events that are in the Movies folder?? What steps should I follow? There isn't any instruction for this that I can find and I'm really afraid of screwing this up!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 19, 2015 at 12:30:28 pm

[Linda Taylor] "Next problem: when I start FinalCut and it shows me a message about libraries, what should I do? When I chose "update later" it did not find and load all of my old project files or events."
The Library format has changed and you need to update your libraries before you can use them. That's why it won't read your old libraries. I would recommend that you let FCP X update them if you plan to use them.
[Linda Taylor] "On my new machine, all of my FinalCut projects are stored in the Movies>FinalCut Projects folder. What should I do to copy them onto the new version of Final Cut that I just downloaded? "
You don't need to copy them anywhere, you just need to allow FCP X to update them. If you want, you could copy them to an external drive as a backup for safe keeping. Just drag and drop the whole Final Cut Projects file to an external USB 3 drive to back it up.
[Linda Taylor] "I found out that I was using an old version of Final Cut Pro X on my old machine. Now there is a new version that I downloaded onto my new machine -- but apparently the new version of Final Cut Pro X has a different file structure that uses libraries. Things are organized differently in the new version."
Wow, you really had an old version. It sounds like you may have been using a version earlier than 10.1. Yes, a few versions back the library structure changed dramatically for the better. You might want to head over to Ripple Training and watch some of the "new features" videos to get familiar with it. Here are some tutorials that may help you:

Upgrading to Final Cut Pro 10.1 from Ripple Training

There are two other parts to the above video series that are on the YouTube page so I won't duplicate them here but definitely click on them and watch them. Specifically Part 2 will take you through the upgrade process.

These videos might also be helpful:
Working with Libraries in Final Cut Pro 10.1

Media Management in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 - Library Model Overview

[Linda Taylor] "So how do I get this new version of Final Cut to "see and access" the projects and events that are in the Movies folder?? What steps should I follow? There isn't any instruction for this that I can find and I'm really afraid of screwing this up!"
First you need to let FCP X upgrade your existing library so that it can work with it. Watch the videos above and follow the steps and, of course, ask questions here. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Linda Taylor
on Jun 20, 2015 at 1:47:20 am
Last Edited By Linda Taylor on Jun 20, 2015 at 1:49:35 am

John, Thank you so much! That was EXACTLY what I needed to understand! Those videos are terrific! I will check out their other training videos as well.

With that info under my belt, I called Apple Support (just to make sure I had the right idea) before I updated FCPX. I was glad to be on the phone with them, because I did have a few additional questions after the update was done. Now I'm busy organizing my events and projects. There are only a couple of missing clips; otherwise everything seems to be fine!

I appreciate the help of everyone on this forum!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 20, 2015 at 1:18:22 pm

You're welcome. Glad you got it all sorted out. I purchased several of Ripple Trainings tutorials and they helped me get up to speed very quickly. I can't say enough good things about them. Well worth the investment.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]