FORUMS: list search recent posts

generating timecode in fcp7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Kaufer
generating timecode in fcp7
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:38:34 am

Hi all,
I need to generate an .mov export with burned in timecode (from my fcp7 timeline)
After much research I realize the only way it works is to have the entire movie as one clip.
So I did this two different ways - and am running into two different problems.

First: I created a new sequence and then dragged the original sequence into it. this worked, and I was able to generate the timecode accurately. PROBLEM: 30 hours to export!! (NOTE: on the original sequence 1hour44min - it takes 30 minutes to export the full film.)

Second: I exported an mov of the full film then brought that back into a new sequence and generated the timecode. This worked fine too. PROBLEM: 7 hours to export!!

Why is it taking so long? Should this really need to build all new render files? Should I trash preferences, reboot and start the export over?

I appreciate your input - THANKS!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: generating timecode in fcp7
on Jun 17, 2015 at 6:58:45 am

[Michelle Kaufer] "generate the timecode accurately. PROBLEM: 30 hours to export!! (NOTE: on the original sequence 1hour44min - it takes 30 minutes to export the full film.)"

That's because you added a filter to a nest, and that requires rendering. And a nest is basically all the clips, just in a box. If they already had filters on them, they will need to render again. So when you export, it needs to render as it does that...so it takes time.

[Michelle Kaufer] "Second: I exported an mov of the full film then brought that back into a new sequence and generated the timecode. This worked fine too. PROBLEM: 7 hours to export!!"

This is a slightly better way, as you see. You export the already rendered footage as a single file. So now the TC addition is the only thing that needs to render. But...it still needs to render. If you need to export a full res file with timecode...this is the best way, and yes, it takes time.

If you need to compress it...then look to using Compressor for the task. And look in the FILTERS section of the inspector...there's a TIMECODE BURN filter in there. Apply that and it'll be quicker than adding it in FCP, then exporting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michelle Kaufer
on Jun 17, 2015 at 7:31:15 am

Thanks Shane
Is there any other way? Like is there a simple way to do it in the original timeline?
Seems like a standard thing you should be able to do in an editing program-
Thoughts?
Thanks
Michelle

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 17, 2015 at 9:56:34 am

The simple way in the timeline is to nest, and then apply. But then you have LONG render times. The faster way is the second way, export a QT, reimport, apply the code, export (or render then export). Yes, that still takes a long time.

I've always done this in Compressor. And yes, I've tried everything. Compressor adding TC is the best bet, especially if you have to convert it for viewing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]