FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 and Brorsoft MTS Converter- Reference files acting like self-contained

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Seeman
Final Cut Pro 7 and Brorsoft MTS Converter- Reference files acting like self-contained
on Jun 13, 2015 at 3:13:52 am

Bizarre set of circumstances to which I have yet to find an answer to, although a few rare forum posts have asked this question with no response.

The Short- Prores 422 sequences with matching prores 422 video is exporting the same size of file, over the same amount of time, either as self-contained or reference QT files.

The Long- Using Prores files exported from Brorsoft MTS converter. Original format was AVCHD 1080p60 transcoded to Prores 422 1080p30, 720p60, 720p30, and a few in-between just to experiment. All formats had same issue. Bringing them into FCP 7.0.3 sequence where I have automatically, as well as manually, conformed the sequence settings to the video. Straight edits, no effects, no transitions. Unlimited RT set, Full Render has all check marks but needs no rendering.

I would do a QT export both with and without the "Make Movie Self-Contained" checkbox marked but both had the same result: loooooong export time, large files, and both kinds exporting for the same amount of time and making the same file size.

In this situation I have always before experienced the usual things that come with doing a QT reference movie export- no render time, super fast exporting, small output file size ready and waiting for Compressor.

Here's the weird twist: I would then bring those newly-made QT reference and self-contained files back into the sequence from whens they came, QT export same as before, and they now work like they should with the QT reference files going out quick and being small and the self-contained ones taking less time than before but now are a different file size than from their first trip into Final Cut Pro 7.

Is there some kind of metadata or something that these files would somehow lack that they then gain when exported from Final Cut the first time?

If I remember correctly my system is:
2011 iMac i5
32gig RAM (no idea why previous owner gave it that much)
OS 10.6.8

P.S. I have trashed preferences to no avail.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 and Brorsoft MTS Converter- Reference files acting like self-contained
on Jun 13, 2015 at 9:55:17 pm

The issue is the Br0soft converter. It's substandard, and the ProRes files is produces are lacking in...something. I'm not sure what, I'm no engineer. But I have seen people with issues with this converter. I always recommend ClipWrap, or now EditReady for converting files to ProRes. It's a pro-app.

divergentmedia.com

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Seeman
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 and Brorsoft MTS Converter- Reference files acting like self-contained
on Jun 18, 2015 at 1:59:46 am

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it, and am having a much better time with ClipWrap now. That being said, though, I'm having much the same issue with those files as well. Same thing, different codec and source (Prores LT coming from ClipWrap).

Example: had a 720 sequence with both 720 and 1080 footage. 720 is layered over 1080 in some points but just by dragging and dropping and there aren't any render indicators over the 720 footage, just the 1080. When rendering before exporting the 1080 footage needed a full render (green render bar), but that was expected. What was not expected was this: during export to reference movie the export goes like a reference movie file should with a fast progress bar right up till the point where, by the percentage, I can tell it's hit the 720 footage. Then it's back to the old slow-down like it had to re-render each frame... the frames of the footage that the timeline was conformed to.

I cannot sigh enough...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]