FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best settings to compress a feature documentary for VIMEO upload?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
harvey stein
Best settings to compress a feature documentary for VIMEO upload?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 9:31:26 am

I have a fine cut (in Final Cut Pro timeline) of a feature documentary - using Compressor I want to make a good quality file to upload to Vimeo, so the client can see the fine cut. The smallest size tests I've done are mp4, but it looks pretty grainy.

Has anyone used H.264 or other compression settings for a full 90 minute video? What looks best, is not huge in size, and doesn't take a week to compress?

Thanks!

email: harvey33@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Best settings to compress a feature documentary for VIMEO upload?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 6:33:04 pm

Here is a tutorial

What resolution is your video?

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

harvey stein
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:58:02 pm

Thanks for that tutorial link. The 90 minute video is on a FCP timeline now, the clips are 1920 x 1080. I've found when doing tests that MP4 output in compressor is MUCH quicker than H264, and also much SMALLER.

Do people really output a feature film using Compressor using H264 HD setting, where it might take 24-48 hrs to compress it, and it might be 20GB in size? Or do they use MP4, which as I said is much quicker and smaller, but it looks like (from my tests) that it gets fuzzy, that motion gets pixellated, etc.?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

harvey stein
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:59:06 pm

I meant output to the SAME size as original clips, that is, 1920 x 1080.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:44:36 pm

Compressor 3.5.3 cannot output an H.264 mp4, so you must be using an actual mpeg4 codec setting, which typically isn't the norm. H.264 is the go to codec for uploading to web. File size is largely dependent on bitrate, so yes your MP4 is smaller, but you also say you're getting pixelation and artifacts, meaning your bitrate is too low. You're trying to encode a 90 minute 1080 video, it's going to be a large file. Creating a file with a bitrate of 8,000kbps is still going to give you a 5.5GB file. You could scale the video down to 1280x720, encode at 4500kbps and still get a 3.13 GB file. Then Vimeo is going to re-encode your video. You typically want to give them a high bitrate file since they re-encode.

Encoding speed all depends on your hardware specs, but I really don't think it should take your system 48 hours.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]