FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any issues with installing FCS 2 on Mac Mini I7 Quad core?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Urquhart
Any issues with installing FCS 2 on Mac Mini I7 Quad core?
on Jun 8, 2015 at 11:59:40 pm

Hi,

My wife got me the Mac Mini I7, with the quad core (the last best mac mini?), i was wondering if anyone had heard of any issues with using this. It currently has 4Gb of ram, but it can go, and i was going to upgrad it to 16Gb.

Any info, suggestions, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Russ

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Any issues with installing FCS 2 on Mac Mini I7 Quad core?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:53:12 am

If it's running the most current OS, then if you might have issues installing it...installer might not function properly. If it does, then getting the app to work properly might be tricky too. That version of FCP was last officially supported on 10.4 or 10.5...we are on 10.10...and Apple doesn't make any concessions for older software to work

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Russ Urquhart
on Jun 9, 2015 at 1:03:45 am

I am currently running this on my Powerpc laptop runnint 10.5.8. I was under the impression that FCS2 was the first Intel build that could also be run on Powerpc.

Return to posts index

Alex Kaloostian
on Jun 9, 2015 at 1:23:20 am

The latest Mac Mini is going to require Yosemite, and Final Cut Studio is really unstable on Yosemite. Its not going to run well. Also, the latest Mac Mini cant be opened- you cant upgrade the RAM.

Return to posts index

Russ Urquhart
on Jun 9, 2015 at 2:32:41 am

Hi,

I have the NEXT to the latest Mac Mini, running Yosemite, that is the easily upgradable mini. But from what your saying running Yosemite, things get unstable? So what version of FCS would you recommend i upgrade to? What i have just wont work ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 9, 2015 at 6:07:31 am

Yes, you currently have FCP 6 running under 10.5...as I said, that's a supported OS version.

10.10...Yosemite...is not. Nor is the previous OS, 10.9. That might run FCP 7 OK, but not FCP 6.

FCP 6 is 8 years old...FCP 7 is 6 years old...4 years end of life. Any new computer, even next to last...will have issues running it, because the OS isn't designed to support those old apps. If you plan on using older apps, you need to keep running older OS versions on older computers. Newer computers need newer OS versions, and can only run newer software.

So if you get the new computer, you'll have to look at the current options...FCX, Adobe Premiere Pro are good ones.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Russ Urquhart
on Jun 9, 2015 at 11:58:14 am

Thanks everyone! I've been so out of the new OS/Hardware that i didn't realize Yosemite was actually os 10.10. That is almost 6 versions away!

Well noted!

Thanks,

Russ

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 13, 2015 at 1:55:34 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jun 13, 2015 at 1:58:44 am

I have the original Final Cut Studio HD with FCP 5 and DVD Studio Pro 4 running on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on my 2010 Mac Pro. If you put Snow Leopard on your Mac Mini it would probably run FCS 2/FCP 6 just fine. Apple still sells 10.6 for $19.99 at the Apple Store but you need a DVD drive to install it. This may be your cheapest option to get it working provided that Snow Leopard has all of the drivers for your Mac Mini (not sure if it does).

Personally I would stay on OS X 10.10 Yosemite and just get FCP X and don't look back. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]