FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores LT vs Prores (standard)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
Prores LT vs Prores (standard)
on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:08:08 pm

Hi All,

if I am transcoding AVCHD footage to Prores, and it's only 24MPS, and 4:2:0, will I notice any difference at all in using Prores vs LT version? - I'd love to save the disk space, esp if there really would be no benefit in using ProRes over the LT version.

The Camera in question is the Canon Vixia HF G30 (same as the XA20)

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Prores LT vs Prores (standard)
on Jun 8, 2015 at 7:21:08 pm

The big question: what are you going to be doing with this footage?

Editing is obvious, but there could be color correction, effects work necessary, delivery for web, broadcast, SD & HD... and they'd have an impact on the choice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:18:58 pm

my usual sequence settings are for HDV, because 2 of the 3 or 4 cameras that I shoot with used that, but now I can capture to Prores via SDI, so I want an HD sequence setting that will match that I guess... since now I'd have 3 out of 4 cameras in a shoot that would be 1920x1080.... and then I guess have the other HDV footage rendered on that timeline to 1920x1080 from 1440x1080, right? Im just wondering about the quality, but yes, I know you only had 1/2 the story...

Simple editing, no compositing... just some brief text at end and beginning... I will just use the 3 way color corrector to match the 3 cameras color/contrast and brightness wise... so, some minor color correction.

if Im most concerned with a good quality MPEG2 (Im using episode to do the MPEG2 for DVD) - will I see any difference between exporting final sequence to Prores LT, or should I stay with the standard prores?

I have to export it this way, and not use "current settings" because for some reason, on this machine, the audio drifts out of sync over time - but if I have it export to anything else, it's ok.

Also, would it be better to export to Prores NTSC 16x9 for import into Episode, or should I give episode my full HD file, and have it do the downconversion?

I know a lot of this is trial and error, and "see what looks better" - but I was really just going for a smaller file size vs any quality difference, and based on not re-encoding the codec 15 times...

off topic - what is the best color grader to use past the 3 way color correction? would that be the davinci product?

thanks for all the help

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 9, 2015 at 4:41:24 pm

Y'know, I think I'd bite the bullet and just get more storage if it's a concern.

Here's the only reason I would NOT get more storage: there is absolutely NO WAY on God's Green Earth that I would have to deliver this in HD in the future. No ifs, ands or buts on that, the probablility of going HD is ZERO.

If you can meet that criterion, go with LT. If you can't, get the storage and go ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 9, 2015 at 6:42:23 pm

This really doesn't answer my original question... "get more storage" really?

Like saying... how can I make my car more fuel efficient? - Buy a different car....

I find it hard to believe that people aren't using LT for HD material - 4K? maybe not, but for 1080i footage? Im sure it's being used...

So, I will re-ask the question...

is there a noticeable difference between Prores LT and Prores422 if Im not looking to re-compress the video more than once? if so, great, I will take the hit on larger file sizes (I have 15TB's btw) but I have 12 projects that all require about 750gb each and they are all there at once.

The way I understand it, is the more you re-compress, the higher codec you need to start with? but are there other factors if the footage to start with is 1080i 59.94

Has anyone uprezzed 1440x1080i HDV footage to 1920x1080 Square upper prores, and was happier with the results than if they just stayed in 1440x1080?

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]