FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics quality poor in FCP 7 Editing SD material

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Coulson
Graphics quality poor in FCP 7 Editing SD material
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:00:55 pm

I'm working on an SD project with FCP 7. The graphics I created in Motion and imported to FCP 7. The edges of the graphics are quite aliased and generally sloppy looking. My fcp 7 timeline is DV-PAL and the graphics properties are also DV-PAL, 8 Bit Non-Dithered. I tried changing my fcp 7 timeline to render in Precision YUV and that didn't help. But the graphics (text) quality is extremely poor. I've not experienced this before. One more phenomenon is that if I move the graphics text slightly higher or lower on the screen, the aliasing mostly disappears-as if there is a sweet spot on the screen where the text looks best. I really can't figure what that is or why my text looks a bit fuzzy. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Graphics quality poor in FCP 7 Editing SD material
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:22:14 pm

Stop editing in DV codec.

Bring your SD elements and clean Motion generated graphics into a Prores timeline or at least an uncompressed one.

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:07:50 pm

Hi Mark: Oh yeah? Prores even for SD material? That might just work. Thanks for the tip.

cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:18:27 pm

All I can say is try it and see.

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 8, 2015 at 5:58:56 pm

I had a job a couple of years ago when I was still shooting SD - they had demo text that needed to be crystal clear at like 12 or 14 point size -

What I ended up doing was creating a new HD project, and up-rezzing the SD footage into the HD project, so that the graphics and text would stay sharp... the video didn't take a hit at all really... it was 4:3, so it was cropped on it's sides, but fine.

may or may not work for you, but this was FCP 7 I was using at the time... actually I think it was 6 then, can't remember.... but very similar...

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Steve Coulson
on Jun 9, 2015 at 7:27:53 am

Thanks Rob, that also sounds like a good approach.

cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 9, 2015 at 4:00:11 pm

Make sure that when you position a graphic it is on an even line vertically. Also make sure it is a whole number. Check the motion tab and try to keep it on an even line and also repo it slightly so none of the horizontal or vertical co-ordinates are fractions. It's been like this in FCP since the beginning, but is most apparent on a DV timeline.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]