FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi cam mixtures

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
multi cam mixtures
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:00:23 am

Hi All,

I have 3/4 camera shoots - 2 cameras are the Canon Hf G30 (same as the XA20) and 2 are older HDV my trusty old Canon XL-H1, which is my A Roll camera (most important one) and a 2nd is a Canon XHA1s

So, the G30's are AVCHD cameras of course, and I transcode the footage using log and capture and it creates prores files for me in the process... Retains their original frame size, etc... great.

I usually use a firestore(s) to capture the HDV footage, and let clipwrap just rewrap the M2t files as .mov so I can just bring them in natively... (no re-encoding)

But,

if I create a new timeline, I can either match the seq settings to the HDV footage, or the prores footage... the other clips would have to be rendered to match...

So, my question is, would it be best to have all files the same to begin with, ideally? - in other words, should I upconvert my 1440x1080 HDV files to 1920x1080 prores 422 to match the other G30 files, and then no rendering on the timeline when they are added?

or, should I just work as I do, and let FCP render what it needs to, meaning, the 1920x1080 prores would then become 1440x1080 HDV....

My number 1 goal here is quality... so I don't want to re-encode more than I have to... any of you do this? would think it's kind of common, since every camera seems to have it's own flavor of codec, etc... Im open to any workflow Ideas and thoughts on this subject...

BTW is all this a non issue with FCX or Premiere CS 6? Not ready to jump ship yet, but maybe in 2016.

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: multi cam mixtures
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:24:59 am

[Rob Gutermuth] "So, my question is, would it be best to have all files the same to begin with, ideally?"

Yes. It would be best if all were ProRes 422, matching frame rate.

[Rob Gutermuth] "in other words, should I upconvert my 1440x1080 HDV files to 1920x1080 prores 422 to match the other G30 files, and then no rendering on the timeline when they are added?"

Yes.

[Rob Gutermuth] "or, should I just work as I do, and let FCP render what it needs to, meaning, the 1920x1080 prores would then become 1440x1080 HDV...."

That's the WORSE thing you can do. Convert full raster, I-Frame 10-bit ProRes files to 8-bit, thin raster, GOP HDV. No no no...if you aren't going to convert the HDV footage...use a ProRes 422 sequence. That's the best way to go if you do that.

[Rob Gutermuth] "My number 1 goal here is quality..."

Sorry, the number 1 goal should ALWAYS be story. Quality is second to story. I'm working on a 4K show with SD masters...OLD ONES. But, the story is compelling enough, that it doesn't matter. BUT...if quality is your goal, ProRes is the aim. HDV...icky. Using ProRes in an HDV sequence...bad bad bad.

[Rob Gutermuth] "so I don't want to re-encode more than I have to... any of you do this?"

Yes, I've converted HDV Quicktimes to ProRes, without any noticeable quality loss. Broadcast stuff...it's fine.

[Rob Gutermuth] "BTW is all this a non issue with FCX or Premiere CS 6?"

In FCX...best to work with a ProRes sequence, but yes, it mixes formats better. Premiere works with footage natively...it's designed to..so yes, it would do a lot better than FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]