FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Flora
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
on Jun 1, 2015 at 12:09:56 pm

Good morning,

First of all thanks for everything everyone does!

I have taken a job as an IT technician. Part of my job is to edit sermons for my boss. This is setup with 3 cameras L,R,CTR the tech before me left no notes on what he did and such. I have never used FCP before so this is all new. I have to splice in audio the whole nine yards. What is the best walk through to help me with all aspects of FCP. What info would you guys need to get more on what I have to do? Thanks for any responses!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:48:51 pm

Are you asking about cutting a multi-synced camera shoot?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:54:29 pm

[Warren Eig] "Are you asking about cutting a multi-synced camera shoot?"

He's asking how to use FCP 7 period. He doesn't know the application at all.

Do you know how to edit, John? Don't mean to be snarky or belittle, I honestly don't know if you know how. You just said you didn't know FCP...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:49:12 pm

Have your bosses subscribe to Lynda.com to allow you access to the FCP 7 tutorials there. Or find some way to get in person training. Although finding someone to train you on editing software that's 5 years old...discontinued 4 years ago will be challenging. But Lynda.com should still have tutorials on it.

And they should pay for this training, not you. They are requiring you to do a task for them you haven't been trained for.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:37:50 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:42:02 pm

I will recommend you download the FCP7 course ware from Larry Jordan. I find he has a friendly and very systematic approach, he doesn't assume you know every definition, so he builds your vocabulary as he goes. A lot of his older stuff is now found free on youtube searches as well.

If you have zero editing experience, this was quite a Lion's Den they dropped you into!

Depending on how crunched the time is for production, you might entertain sub-contracting this, sort of, by hiring a local editor to come in and walk you thru the application, actually editing the first and maybe second sermon while you watch and start to take over things as they get familiar.

That's not a substitute for the course ware, but it will keep you from falling too far behind, and it can give you a leg up as you study the course materials. FCP also comes with a manual that has exercises for each chapter, so you can also consult that at length.

While FCP7 is old now and EOL'd, it still works very well for some users, particularly on older systems. It doesn't take a lot of time to learn the basics, just like golf, but mastery, also like golf, can be harder to achieve without a deep time commitment.

If you put an ad out in Criag's list or whatever, explain you need a tutor to walk you thru how to do multi-camera editing in FCP7.

When they shoot the sermons every week, it will make your job easier if the cameras have time code generators and those are set to time of day/free-run, so the time code on each camera's tapes or data cards/ drives match each other. Final Cut7 will synch up multiple cameras via time code or by a common audio/video cue, like if once all cameras start, someone sets off a camera flash or claps their hands in view of all three cameras. That creates your "synch point" to synchronize the multiple tracks. Once synched, you can play all the tracks at the same time, and punch the 1,2,3 keys on your keyboard to switch between views in real time, as if the keyboard was a video switcher. If you make a mistake, it becomes easy to go back to that section and correct it.

FCP7 is old yet powerful, and many people find it intuitive to use. Don't be intimidated by it. What you're doing with a non-linear editor is functionally the same as working on a text document in a word processor, or even more to the point, like building a playlist of songs in iTunes or Windows media player. You're not destroying the video when you make edits, you are just moving the reference pointers to specific pieces of media and re-ordering their play order. That's non-destructive editing. The raw material remains in the drives at all times. When you cut a song from a specific playlist in itunes, you don't destroy the song, you just removed the metadata pointing the player to play that track next.

Visually, think of the video and audio tracks as layers of glass with stuff painted across each layer... The top-most layer can obscure layers below, as it does in a layered photoshop document. If you have a "hole" scratched thru the paint in the top-most layer, it then lets you see whatever was on the next layer down in that area, and so forth. Plus, each track can be slipped forward or back, relative to the rest of the tracks in the stack. The audio is similar but you can turn individual sections on and off, and adjust volume and panning left and right, by dragging on a certain line in the track, called "rubber banding", because it looks like a rubber band stretched across a row of randomly-positioned nails. The "nails" are "keyframes".

Does any of that make sense? If yes, then you're doing well already for a beginner.

Keep communicating and everybody here will be glad to help out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]