FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why suddenly one frame taking up the time of two frames?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Rosenfeld
Why suddenly one frame taking up the time of two frames?
on May 28, 2015 at 6:33:51 am

FCP 7 seems to always find a way to screw something up or throw a glitch in the way. As soon as I did some motion editing in one of my clips and rendered it, now its staying on one frame for every two clicks of the forward or backward arrow button. What gives?

I found a similar problem when I tried to drag some M4a music into the project. It left a red "needs render" band all along the top of the sequence, and when I clicked on the red "For playback" option, it made it possible to play the music track but now the video playback was all screwed up. So frustrating.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why suddenly one frame taking up the time of two frames?
on May 28, 2015 at 7:40:04 am

This happens when you are in a 30fps project, for example, and you slow a 30fps clip 50%. Now each frame plays twice...but plays at 50% speed. Each frame is repeated.

As for the M4A file...FCP doesn't like that format...thus why you have to render. For best compatibility, you need to convert the file to AIFF 48kHz, 16 bit stereo. Compressor will do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on May 28, 2015 at 9:11:18 am

Thanks a lot, Shane. You've been answering a lot of my questions. So, I wonder why some of my 30 fps footage is slowed down 50%, and whether it's only that way in playback from the timeline or whether it will export that way too.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 28, 2015 at 1:50:18 pm

Well, you said you changed the motion:

"As soon as I did some motion editing in one of my clips and rendered it, now its staying on one frame for every two clicks of the forward or backward arrow button. What gives?"

You edited the motion. Did you slow it down? What did you do exactly?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on May 28, 2015 at 5:53:09 pm

No, I didn't slow anything down. I just added two key frames, spaced about a second apart from each other, and made the image zoom in and change centering as it went from the first key frame to the second.

For now, the way I've dealt with this is that I used the razor blade tool to cut the clip right where the first key frame is, so now that second of motion is its own separate clip. That way, the weird rendering has only applied to that one second of footage and didn't affect the rest of the clip.

By the way, the visual effect of the footage staying on the same frame for twice as long has not been for it to look slower. It looks more flickery. So that suggests to me that frames have actually been lost in the process of that happening. For example, let's say you have 3 sequential frames in the original footage and then this weird rendering happens. The result is not for frame 1 to stay on for twice as long, followed by frame 2 staying on for twice as long. Instead, it seems what happening is that frame 1 stays on twice as long and eats up frame 2 in the process. Therefore, the next frame you see is frame 3. Frame 2 is lost.

You see what I'm saying? Not sure if that's the case, but that's what it looks like visually in playback to me.

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on May 30, 2015 at 2:37:22 am

How's this for utter weirdness?: I have a still frame JPG that I stretched out to a few seconds and added motion to (pan from left to right). In playback, it's doing the thing I've described above (playing the same frame twice in a row and appearing to skp in-between frames). But then I sliced a cut in the middle of it to add a white flash transition, and lo and behold, the new region that was thus created to the right of the transition now has smooth playback with sequential frames, but only after a delay after the cut and transition. In other words, the smooth playback doesn't come in immediately.

Do I have gremlins in my Final Cut Pro?

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:38:20 am

I've figured out a way to resolve this issue by just re-introducing the clips from the browser into the sequence but not doing any rendering. Somehow they just eventually settle themselves and play back fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]