<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manu Cataldi
Problems with export
on May 25, 2015 at 11:02:27 pm

Well, this is my current workflow:

1) Source material: 1920x1080 H264 25 fps .mov file
2) Convert with MPEG Streamclip to Apple ProRes 442
3) Import to FCP7
4) Export master in same settings as timeline (ProRes 442)
5) Convert master to H264 with MPEG Streamclip

Now, I'm having problems with step 5.

I did a demo with a few clips and everything is fine until I use MPEG Streamclip to convert ProRes 442 to H246. Everytime I get a sloppy video file of about 40mb with poor quality.

I don't know if I have to set something else on MPEG Streamclip, I only change the codec box to H264 and leave everything else by default. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Problems with export
on May 26, 2015 at 6:00:30 am

Like any variable data rate codec H264 can look amazing or rubbish. File size tells us nothing without knowing how long the file is and what sort of data rate you chose. Also CBR vs VBR 2 pass makes a difference depending on the sort of content. lots of variables.

If you have Compressor you might get a slightly better result particularly if you are also changing pixel size or are you trying to output just 1920 x 1080 H264?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on May 26, 2015 at 2:09:26 pm

As Michael said, you need to provide more information. Here is a video tutorial on using MPEG Streamclip to make an H.264.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Manu Cataldi
on May 26, 2015 at 7:02:33 pm

Well, I think I kinda solved the problem.

It looks that the MPEG Streamclip quality slider DOES affect when it comes to H264 codec. I've read that it doesn't.

I was getting a 50% quality file, size 40mb and now I get a 870mb file with slider on 100%

Asuming that the quality slider was my first problem, I'm still having problems with gamma shift between the ProRes 442 master to H264.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on May 27, 2015 at 3:38:33 pm

Yes, Apple's version of H.264 is renowned for that gamma shift and overall being one of the poorest versions of the codec. Try using Handbrake, which uses the open source x.264, or Adobe Media Encoder.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Manu Cataldi
on May 27, 2015 at 3:53:12 pm

I'm considering this project for screening at my university. They asked for a H264 file that will be played on a laptop.

I noticed a gamma shift in the first step, when converting source footage H264 to ProRes 442.

Let's say I'm ok with that, but now, in the final step, I want the best results in getting a H264 master for the screening.

Most of tutorials only cover web compression in terms of small file size with average quality for upload.

So, which settigs do I have to use to a get the best H264 compression with my ProRes 442 master?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on May 27, 2015 at 4:07:01 pm

If you're okay with the gamma shift and you are pleased with your 870 MB file from MPEG Streamclip then use that. It all comes down to the eye test.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2015 at 8:46:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 27, 2015 at 8:47:19 pm

If you have sufficient time, ambition and portable storage, you could do this:
  • Find a friend who has Adobe Media Encoder on a Mac.
  • Export your completed project to portable storage in ProRes 422.
  • Go to your friend's place and use his/her Adobe Media Encoder to make a high-quality mp4 in the H.264 codec.

Your friend may need the ProRes reader for Quicktime, but that's a simple download. Chances are good (s)he wouldn't.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Manu Cataldi
on May 27, 2015 at 10:32:17 pm
Last Edited By Manu Cataldi on May 27, 2015 at 10:34:38 pm

Hi Dave, glad you mentioned it, I already have Adobe Media Encoder CS5.

Which settings do you recommend?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on May 28, 2015 at 9:05:25 pm

Hey Manu, choose H.264 as the Format, then choose something like Match Source High Bitrate for the preset. I only have AME CC so I'm not sure which presets 5.5 has. I would go for a CBR of 15mbps or VBR 2-pass 10 - 15mbps. You could also use one of the YouTube or Vimeo presets and pick whichever has a higher bitrate.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]