FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Out of memory" errors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Riggs
"Out of memory" errors
on May 22, 2015 at 9:06:59 am

Been recently getting a lot of "Out of memory" errors recently.
One project file in particular seems to be the most prone, it is a sizable project file, 200mb.
All media and project file are connected via an external usb3 drive that is 80% full.

Wondering what is the cause and solution? I do have 24gb of Ram.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: "Out of memory" errors
on May 22, 2015 at 9:37:13 am

Large stills can cause this. Any still over 4000 pixels will cause this error...as FCP cannot deal with anything larger than 4K.

Non-FCP codecs can cause this...MP4, H.264 files in the project...that'll trigger it.

200MB is rather large. FCP also chokes on projects over 100MB. Since it can have multiple projects open at once, you might consider breaking your one project into many...a b-roll project, music project...whathaveyou

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Riggs
on May 22, 2015 at 2:53:34 pm

Thanks Shane, I'm working with pro res 422 1080p,no stills at all. I figured it could be the project file size, so I'll probably split it but it didn't just balloon to this size, it has been around 170-200mb for quite awhile and worked fine, only recently did it start crashing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 22, 2015 at 5:49:31 pm

A couple of things come to mind:

You may need to trash your FCP preferences. Digital Rebellion makes a great and free Preferences Manager which makes the job easy. Don't have it? Get it.

An 80% full drive should be considered to be full. You might want to consider getting more storage to avoid the weird things that happen with full drives.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]