FORUMS: list search recent posts

improving render times / fx factory with 4K footage in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Mullins
improving render times / fx factory with 4K footage in FCP7
on May 21, 2015 at 8:37:37 pm

Currently have 35 hours to render approx. 50 mins of 4k apple pro ress lt video on a mac pro 5,1 with the supplied ATI Radeon.

On a few occasions, ive had a red screen with 'dv studio failed to render' this often appears when attempting to preview 4k in fcp7

Ok so i should be using a more recent NLE but i know FCP7 inside out and find its quicker.

Is there anyway to improve the render time or reliability?

Would upgrading the graphics card have any effect? Im running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 - I did 'upgrade' to Yosemite but this broke fx factory (even after a clean install of FCP studio and FX Factory). I upgraded to yosemite primarily to use FCPX as it only works with 10.9 or above! Good business model apple - need to constantly update to flaky beta operating systems that cause more misery.

Would FCPX take 35 hours to render 50 mins of 4k? It has two filters applied per clip.

Return to posts index

Steve Mullins
Re: improving render times / fx factory with 4K footage in FCP7
on May 21, 2015 at 8:50:05 pm

I may have figured it out - render in RGB in stead of 10 bit

from 35 hours to um… 9 hours! better than nothing i guess!

Im sure XDCAM takes around 5 hours per 1 hour to render so it makes more sense now.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 21, 2015 at 10:44:44 pm

FCP7 is not designed to handle 4k footage. You are lucky it is doing anything at all.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 22, 2015 at 5:06:12 am

4K Prores LT?

that's a weird choice.
if you don't need great quality (LT), why go 4K?

FWIW i've found LT does take longer to render.
i had a off-line / on-line a while back, and the same effects took less time on the camera original (4444) than they did on the LT edit media.

nick

Return to posts index

Steve Mullins
on May 22, 2015 at 7:46:24 am

pretty much everything i do is for the web / youtube etc. So have found LT fine for that and saves editing in proxy than re connecting into standard pro res. I've even used pro ress proxy for some youtube unboxing videos (stuff i dont really care about) and even that looks ok!

Would another pro ress flavour render quicker?

Also, have left it to render over night and have had no crashes or 'out of memory' pop ups so certainly rgb with the gh4 works - but a effect laden timeline may break it.

Ive also found editing in proxy then simply changing the timeline to LT works

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]