FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7 Frame Rates and FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Bonnett
Sony A7 Frame Rates and FCP
on May 13, 2015 at 6:16:21 pm

Hi all,

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but I'm ultimately using FCP (still) so I hope it's OK. I'm working on a project that has been shot on a variety of cameras, Nikons, Black Magics, Sonys and although getting everything conformed has been a pain so far so good.

The one that I am having a problem with is the Sony A7. This was used to shoot some pickups in real time and, apparently, unbeknownst to me, slow motion. It was also done in the XAVC S codec which most of the gear I have doesn't like.

Anyway to the point, I've been able to use Catalyst to convert the 25p footage to ProRes files fine. No problems there and they look pretty good. The files shot at 100fps were a bit more of an issue but, again using Catalyst I was able to pull off DPX files and conform them to useable ProRes. Again looking nice.

There is however also some footage shot at 50fps. It says its progressive and the cameras stats say that it shoots at 1080p50. It should therefore be half speed once conformed. However watching the files back after transcode to ProRes and natively in Catalyst it is clear that the files are repeating frames ie 11-22-33-44-55.

Is this me seeing something funny, a potential problem with the camera, or is the camera actually shooting 50i with each field as a different frame (overlaying them they look identical and I can't see any slight field discrepancies between them)? If necessary does anyone have a good technique to remove the duplicate frames throughout?

I hope that some of that makes sense and thanks for any help in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sony A7 Frame Rates and FCP
on May 13, 2015 at 7:54:59 pm

It sure sounds like the footage was shot at 50i rather than 50p to me.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 13, 2015 at 8:28:43 pm

EditReady is a much better converter IMHO. Demo available so you can test it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 13, 2015 at 11:40:16 pm

And don't forget da Vinci Resolve which is free can do a great job of converting many codecs for edit as well as grading. From version 12 onwards it may well be a better editor than FCP7 although at the moment it is a bit limited but still a solid basic editor.

Return to posts index

Jack Bonnett
on May 14, 2015 at 9:12:01 am

Thanks for the pointers all. The double frames have been put down to 'operator error' on the part of the camera man and fortunately I think I'll only have to try and fix up a couple of the shots.

The machine had Catalyst on it and as it's free that was what I went with, but if EditReady gets your seal of approval then I'll give it a look in the future Shane, and yes I should probably spend a bit more time getting to know Resolve. It's sometimes just hard to leave what you are most familiar with, especially when you've got tight deadlines!!

Thanks again folks.

Return to posts index

jackie smith
on Jun 26, 2015 at 5:44:12 am

Sony A7 recorded video files that are stored in XAVC format, this XAVC video is not natively supported by FCP. You'd better transcode Sony A7 XAVC to FCP Apple Proress 422 codec with Pavtube Video Converter on your Mac computer beforehand. Then import the created video into FCP for video editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]