FORUMS: list search recent posts

best cheap apple laptop for video editing purposes (imovie/finalcutX)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Thurman
best cheap apple laptop for video editing purposes (imovie/finalcutX)
on May 7, 2015 at 9:50:18 pm

I have a really nice apple desktop at home, but I want to find a cheap apple laptop, hopefully between 300-500 for video making purposes only. I would need to transfer the video from the desktop to the laptop, so I can bring the laptop to work and work on some of my imovie/final cut x projects. Does anyone have any idea what laptop would work and provide enough space to do this? Would I need an external hard drive to achieve this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: best cheap apple laptop for video editing purposes (imovie/finalcutX)
on May 7, 2015 at 9:56:03 pm

[Justin Thurman] " but I want to find a cheap apple laptop, hopefully between 300-500 for video making purposes only."

You're joking, right? And Apple laptop, in that price range? Not even sure that a 2012 model sold on eBay can be had for that little. I don't mean to be snarky, but Apple computers aren't cheap. IN that range you can get a MacMini...but that's not a laptop.

A used AIR...say 3 years old...might go for that, but it's underpowered for FCP use.

Get the best model of MacBook Pro that you can find in that range on eBay or other. Older ones will run FCP 7 fine, but might struggle with FCX. And yes, always have an external drive to store your media..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Justin Thurman
on May 7, 2015 at 10:07:59 pm

I guess I'm a little too new to the entire process. I'm finally figuring out Imovie and already have final cut x, in which I haven't used yet. What kind of GB do you think I need to make a couple of movies at a time each week on a new or used apple laptop? Thanks for the quick response man. Is it easy to transfer movie files from a desktop to laptop/laptop to desktop?

Return to posts index

Justin Thurman
on May 7, 2015 at 10:09:30 pm

Would something like this work or not enough power/storage?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Core-2-Duo-2-4GHz-4GB-250GB-13-MC...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 7, 2015 at 10:37:28 pm

That's a 2010 model...5 years old. It'll run FCP 7 fine, because FCP 7 is also 5 years old. And the version of iMovie that came out then...yup. But that won't really be smooth running FCX...especially the latest version. Computers age too fast...mainly the software development goes faster than it should, making computers obsolete within 3 years, if you want to use most current software with them. It's a good machine, but only in terms of FCP 7 (end of life software)...FCX might work, but not optimally.

How big of a hard drive? Well, 1TB at least...Firewire 800 or USB 3 (that computer you linked to has FW800, but only USB2...USB2 is too slow for video). 1TB drives aren't too expensive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Justin Thurman
on May 7, 2015 at 10:50:17 pm

Could I get anything less than 1TB? I'll be using mostly imovie at first and some final cut x. I didn't want to spend more than 600 ideally. Would a computer from 2013-2015 support these programs if I'm only working on one movie at a time (mostly music videos)? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 7, 2015 at 10:53:43 pm

This 1TB is only $145...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T1.0/

Sure, you can get less. Know that video files tend to be large. And if you want to use FCP, you need to convert footage to ProRes and those files are much larger than the camera originals. Even FCX likes ProRes over camera originals.

[Justin Thurman] "Would a computer from 2013-2015 support these programs if I'm only working on one movie at a time (mostly music videos)?"

Yes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on May 8, 2015 at 8:40:12 am

If you are in to a bit of tinkering I'd go over to TonyMacx86.com and look at 'doing' a hacintosh laptop.

Something like a HP4530s ProBook core i7, can take either 8 or 16 gb ram...I think HP themselves recommend 8gb Max, but OSX and the hardware supports 16 GB.

The good thing about doing a HP4530 sereis, or very very similar is that all the hardware is so close ( almost identical internally) to a MacBook Pro, that there is very little ..like no , real 'coign involved.

I have done a 4530s Core i5, last year..Geekbench and similar bench test apps put it up at a better speed than a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch, all for about £500

That £500 included purchasing a second hand laptop on flea bay, an SSD the new RAM and a HDD caddy to fit in place of the DVD drive.

So it has 8GB RAM..I only heard about the 16GB option later
500GB SSD, for boot
and a ?? 1TB I think , in the DVD bay HDD caddy.

if you are on a budget this is the way to go.

Installation very easy
Buy a 32 -64GB USB stick
On home Mac, go to the app store and d/load the latest OS X installation bundle
From Tony mac downlo ad the installer app.
Run the installer app and point it to the OSX Instl package.
Follow on screen and tonymacx86 guide

Download the post installation instal app that configures OSX to run on that hardware.

Use like a real Mac for a third of the price.

You can do other laptops, but it seems that the most work has been down for the ProBook,and it all just works with the supplied tools on the forum. Other laptops are possible I believe, but not as easy from what I gather. I amino expert , but I have down mine twice. I did it the second time because I water to upgrade to Yosemite, so it si easier to just dart afresh with a new boot loader than trying to convert/ upgrade.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-yosemite/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]