4k editing/viewing choices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Bob Matta
4k editing/viewing choices
on May 4, 2015 at 7:41:51 pm
Last Edited By Bob Matta on May 5, 2015 at 2:14:31 am

Hello,

I hope this message finds Mr. Shane Ross (whom I've known to give really practical FCP 7 advice) and anyone who can simplify my decision making dilemma:

Precept: I'm working on the assumption that filming in 4k would be irrelevant if one's viewing equipment were just 1080P max. Hardware for this scenario: 1080P TV, FCP 7, Sony AVCHD camcorder and new GoPro 4 Black.

Now then:
Given this last-mentioned (bought it today) piece of gear, I know that I can now shoot in up to 4k. Great, but

1) Don't I have to make the move to FCPX to ingest video above HD?

2) FCP7 cannot ingest via log and transfer (awesome how-to video, Shane) 4k material, t/f?

3) Post over, by whichever above medium, what QT file can I expect... 1080P h.264... I'm used to; how would a 4k sequence save as?

4) 'A' cam is Sony AVCHD. How the bleep does one BEST combine/ingest HD and 4k into a product that will play from Apple TV/iTunes onto a 1080P TV?

4a) Assuming 'awesome' 4k footage eventually will have to be scaled down to conform to sequence?

5) Until I acquire a 4k TV, does it make sense to capture footage that way with my 'B' cam GoPro at all. or should I just set this cam to 1080P?

Quite enough to be going on about...
Thank you all in advance for your patience!

-Bob

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 4k editing/viewing choices
on May 4, 2015 at 8:19:26 pm

FWIW, IMO, if you can afford it, seems like the perfect project to motivate a crossgrade to FCPX, where all of these formats are taken in stride. Lots more work in FCP7to make all this stuff play nice together.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 4k editing/viewing choices
on May 4, 2015 at 10:10:59 pm

[Bob Matta] "1) Don't I have to make the move to FCPX to ingest video above HD?"

If you want to work with 4K AS 4K...No. FCP 7 is capable of editing 4K footage, ProRes 4444 is 4K. But you will need a VERY VERY fast and large RAID array to store this, and you'll need a 4K io device, and of course a 4K monitor.

[Bob Matta] "2) FCP7 cannot ingest via log and transfer (awesome how-to video, Shane) 4k material, t/f?"

Nope...sorry. This software is too old for most 4K camera formats. When it was around and current, the 4K options were ProRes anyway...or RED. And ProRes didn't need converting, and RED had it's own converter. Well, you could convert RED via log and transfer, but that's about it.

[Bob Matta] "
3) Post over, by whichever above medium, what QT file can I expect... 1080P h.264... I'm used to; how would a 4k sequence save as?"

There's 4K H.264, ProRes 444, DNxHR...lots of options. if you edit ProRes 4444...you can export ProREs 4444.

[Bob Matta] "4) 'A' cam is Sony AVCHD. How the bleep does one BEST combine/ingest HD and 4k into a product that will play from Apple TV/iTunes onto a 1080P TV?"

AVCHD...4K? Does that exist? Or are you meaning how do you incorporate that into a 4K project? Just bring it in an resize...or use Compressor to convert. The most current one I'd think. But as for Apple TV...that doesn't do 4K yet, only 1080. So you'd have to make a 1080p version for Apple TV.

[Bob Matta] "4a) Assuming 'awesome' 4k footage eventually will have to be scaled down to conform to sequence?"

NO...4K is editable in FCP. But you might have to conform the final, depending on your delivery medium. 4K isn't wide spread yet.

[Bob Matta] "5) Until I acquire a 4k TV, does it make sense to capture footage that way with my 'B' cam GoPro at all. or should I just set this cam to 1080P?"

OK...what cameras do you have that do 4K? Just the GoPro? What's the point of going 4K if only the GoPro shoots it?... and it's your B-camera.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]