FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 FCPX Old 12 core - or new trashcan?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
FCP7 FCPX Old 12 core - or new trashcan?
on May 3, 2015 at 5:04:01 pm

This is a simple question - will a new trashcan 12 core be better than an old 2012 12 core in the following use:

SO I shot 40 one minute iphone movies and created an edit with 40 tracks with the images on different parts of the screen (I know - crazy already). by the time I have 20 or so images on screen it takes the old 12 core kit using final cut 7 (studio) 1 - 2 minutes to draw the composite image. (I have 16 gig of ram and older graphics cards in the mac with 6 terrabytes of secondary drive to edit onto). Necessarily I photgraph the screen and work with wireframe only because it takes too long with images. Then when I've finished and try output the 1 minute of video it then takes about two days to output. I understand I'm already asking the kit to do more than it was designed for (I come from camera so my knowledge gets hazy at the back end). So my question is twofold - will final cut x on this old system do this a lot faster if I shove in about 32 gig of ram and or will will a new trashcan be the answer - is there anything else I should do to make this work better???

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP7 FCPX Old 12 core - or new trashcan?
on May 4, 2015 at 4:19:59 pm

are you converting your media to Pro Res before you do this?
h264 might be slowing you down

nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7 FCPX Old 12 core - or new trashcan?
on May 4, 2015 at 4:35:24 pm

Well, just about everything is going to have trouble with 40 simultaneous video images on the screen. It might be time to use a better tool for the job.

It would probably be worth your while to take this composite shot into After Effects or Motion to complete. FCP is a humble editing app, with limited effects capabilities.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]