FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing GoPro Hero 3 Black Protune 2.7k cine 24fps with 5D MkIII 1080p 24fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fisher
Mixing GoPro Hero 3 Black Protune 2.7k cine 24fps with 5D MkIII 1080p 24fps
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:55:01 pm

As the title so technically states, I am shooting projects mixing GoPro 2.7k with 5D 1080p. Shooting in 2.7k for the added resolution for downscaling to 1080p. I am using FCP7 by the way.

I have tried to research best practices for this post process and haven't been able to cobble together the info I've found and apply it to what I'm doing.

My attempts so far have been:

1) Convert the 2.7k protune camraw footage in GoPro studio, but the exported 1080 CFHD codec video doesn't seem to work with my FCP timeline conformed to my 1080p ProRes 422 5D footage. Compressor would not allow me to convert the CFHD to ProRes (maybe try MPEG Streamclip?). I have seen that quicktime has a difficult time with CFHD in some cases?

2) Put the raw GoPro file into compressor and export a 1080p 422 ProRes file. The file seems to play choppy, however, and the original file seems much smoother. I am using a fast enough micro SD to record the 2.7k footage, I don't seem to have dropped frames and it records unhindered, and I'm running a recently purchased trashcan mac pro (highest model).

THAT SAID, I have a few questions:

- Does the protune GoPro footage need to be corrected or processed before editing, or can I edit the protune footage and color correct after the fact?
- Is FCP7 too much of a dinosaur to correctly address this kind of workflow I'm attempting?

Thanks for any input and I apologize for the exhausting post.

--
Dean Fisher

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mixing GoPro Hero 3 Black Protune 2.7k cine 24fps with 5D MkIII 1080p 24fps
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:12:36 pm

Four words -- Bad Idea In FCP.

Okay, I'm counting "FCP" as a word.

I STRONGLY recommend that you use a newer and more versatile editing application than legacy FCP. It just won't cut it for you. It is FIVE YEARS OLD and NO LONGER SUPPORTED, for Heaven's sake.

If FCP is all you have, then abandon your 2.7K dreams, and bring in all the footage so that it's the identical horizontal/vertical reaolution, pixel aspect ratio and fframe rate -- ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dean Fisher
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:37:58 pm

We've got the full Adobe suite. I have a decent knowledge of Premiere, we just haven't made the jump at the office. We realize we needed to leave FCP7 at a certain point, perhaps this is the time!

I know premiere handles mixed format / frame rate fairly well (at least leagues better than FCP7). As far as the GoPro footage, is it prudent to transcode from raw before editing, or just throw it in the timeline along with the H.264 5D footage? Also, I forget where I read a long time ago that even though premiere can handle H.264 editing, it's perhaps better to not edit with that codec anyway. Is there any truth to that?

LASTLY (I know this is branching out, I could post in other forums maybe), I'm experimenting with 5D Raw footage. I am understanding of that workflow in and of itself, but haven't mixed with other cameras/formats.

--
Dean Fisher

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:57:52 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:59:53 pm

Don't DSLR's shoot RAW only as stills? Go Pro's included? That'd put a cramp in your style.

Since I am but a humble editor/producer/AE Guy at a mid-market TV station, I'm not famililiar with any camera that shoots & records video as RAW.

I'm not a big fan of H.264 in ANY complex video workflow. Too many points of failure in image quality, ESPECIALLY if rendering is required. I believe in transcoding to a good codec right off the bat, before any editing occurs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dean Fisher
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:12:14 pm

There's a group called Magic Lantern that has released firmware that adds secondary features to Canon DSLR's, one of them being shooting RAW sensor video (convertible to DNG images). Allows you to squeeze tons more detail in the image and is much more versatile in color correction. All this at the sacrifice of huge files, but there it is. So the GoPro wouldn't be raw in this case.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll be transcoding before editing for sure.

--
Dean Fisher

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:16:25 pm

If you are going to try to mess with newer shooting formats, like RAW, and want to edit 2.5K footage as 2.5K...yeah, you need to move away from 5 year old, end of life, software. FCP is great with ProRes and files that are standard frame sizes for broadcast...720p and 1080p and 1080i...anything that deviates from that and FCP 7 will struggle.

So...FCX or PPro. Avid would also work, as it now has DNxHR settings for higher than 1080p footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]