FORUMS: list search recent posts

1024*768

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
prathyush kumar
1024*768
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:26:06 am

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a small title small animation for my client, it is to playback on their monitor placed in conference hall. So first i made my animation on 1920*1080 assuming that it is a LCD TV, but they said its not playing back properly, so asked the specs, in reply they gave me a video clip which is 1024*768 and its playing distorted(Stretched) in my computer.

Since its a basic title animation i did that again on after effects composition (1024*768). Now they say it is playing back smoothly but the image is distorted.

Where i went wrong. My AE setting is 1024*768, Square pixels(1.33).

Please help me.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: 1024*768
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:27:08 pm

Ask them for the make and model number of the monitor so you can check the settings yourself.

Also, find out what they are playing it on, example PowerPoint 4:3 or PowerPoint set for widescreen.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2015 at 5:37:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 27, 2015 at 5:39:25 pm

1.33 is NOT a square pixel. 1.00 is a square pixel. I recommend doing the animation in Motion or After Effects, which will let you work in the proper pixel aspect ratio. Then render a file, and import it into FCP in a timeline of your delivery specs. Life should be good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:15:23 am

Hi Dave,

I created the animation on After Effects only. Please find the screen grab of my After Effects Composition Settings and the movie specs provided by client.

Thank you
Prathyush

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2015 at 3:58:07 pm

I'm not really sure how FCP fits into this project. Why aren't you simply delivering in the required specs straight out of After Effects?

FCP deals in standard broadcast horizontal & vertical resolutions, and 1024x768 isn't one of them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:06:33 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "FCP deals in standard broadcast horizontal & vertical resolutions, and 1024x768 isn't one of them."

Are you 100% certain Dave? That was a very common widescreen SD format in the day.

DRW

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:46:15 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. In PAL countries, the vertical dimension would have been 576, not 768.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:35:05 pm

If memory serves me correctly, 1024 X 768 is SD, not HD, and does not use square pixels. Sounds like your client is using an old video projector...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:34:17 pm

It's a 4:3 (1.33) squadre pixel old CRT computer monitor.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:09:19 pm

1024x768 would be 4x3 in square pixels and SD, but the pixel aspect ratio was said to be 1.33. That makes it SD but 16x9.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:56:49 pm

Broadcast SD was never square pixel 16:9...only anamorphic. From what I recall from EONS ago.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:07:50 pm

[Shane Ross] "Broadcast SD was never square pixel 16:9...only anamorphic. From what I recall from EONS ago."

That's precisely what I thought...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:30:43 am

So guys what you suggest. Please let me know. I asked the monitor specs. Lets see.

please help me to nail this issue.

Thanks
Prathyush

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:28:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is the details, i got from client, please help me.

This what the reply to my questions

"I have attached some screenshots of the player we are using. Hope that helps you. Please let me know if you need any more clarifications.

1. Brand name and model number of the screen ? Genesis (Model Screenshot Attached)

2. The device you use to play back(DVD Player or USB) ? Pixcom player - Windows XP OS - Friendlyway Composer 9 Player Software

3. Any additional conversion or process you go through before projecting on screen ? We are using Friendlyway Composer 9 Player software for publishing the content on the screens.

Thank you
Prathyush

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:29:20 pm

Also i did it on After effects not on FCP, Never i touched FCP in this whole workflow.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:02:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 30, 2015 at 5:51:11 pm

Here's a basic question:

If this is an all-After Effects project, why on Earth are you asking about it in the legacy Final Cut Pro forum?

Thank you for the photographs, but they don't help much. You are assuming that we know every piece of display equipment and every playback device on the planet, and that just is not so.

It appears that you will have to look up the specifications for delivery on your own. Find out the type of file required by that playback software running on Win XP.

Media container. Codec. Horizontal & vertical resolution. Aspect Ratio (16x9 vs. 4x3). Pixel aspect ratio (1.0 vs. 1.33). Frame rate. Audio specifications.

Don't be afraid to ASK THE CLIENT. You are simply doing your due diligence, so that you get it right the first time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on May 1, 2015 at 6:43:30 am

Dear Dave,

Please find the answers of your questions below...

1. If this is an all-After Effects project, why on Earth are you asking about it in the legacy Final Cut Pro forum?

I am an editor, i believe editor is hub, where lot things in post production meet (For example Sound, VFX, Colour grading).So he or she must have a basic idea of everything about film making. Since I believe this is purely an aspect ratio issue, and I believe someone in my profession than any other geeks in after effects, I posted here.

2. Thank you for the photographs, but they don't help much. You are assuming that we know every piece of display equipment and every playback device on the planet, and that just is not so
Since you are not God, I am very sure you don’t know a lot of things above and beyond sky and I am just sharing my doubts here. Since you guys are more experienced than me, I assumed you might have already worked with this kind of project.

3. Media container. Codec. Horizontal & vertical resolution. Aspect Ratio (16x9 vs. 4x3). Pixel aspect ratio (1.0 vs. 1.33). Frame rate. Audio specifications

Don't be afraid to ASK THE CLIENT. You are simply doing your due diligence, so that you get it right the first time.

These are the first things I cross check with the client. The tech team there initially told me that its 1920*1080 and it didn’t work, so they came with 1024*768, now that is not working, Yesterday they came up with 1362* 940, all in my life I never heard of this weird dimensions. So I think they really don’t have any idea.

Because of all this I am posting in a forum like this. Hope you got my point.

I am not sitting back after posting on a forum, me also putting efforts to find a solution.

Thanks
Prathyush

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 1, 2015 at 3:23:28 pm

I agree: the client doesn't know much about delivery specifications. Here are my suggestions:

Get a copy of the operator's manual for that Win XP playback software. It should contain information on the types of files it needs for playback. It may turn out that the software needs to transcode the file you deliver into a form it can use. It's not unheard-of.

Have the client supply you with a copy of a clip that DOES play back on the software. You can then analyze it and prepare your files accordingly.

Since no one on the client end seems to know what to do, you need to assume a new role: detective. Don't forget to bill them for their ignorance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 1, 2015 at 8:56:09 am

It looks like you are delivering to multiple screens:

[image]

Is this the case? Can you provide a photo that shows the entire area where your work is playing?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

prathyush kumar
on May 4, 2015 at 6:22:56 am

Hi Everyone,

Here is the photo that shows the entire area where the work is going to play.

I have feeling they are changing the dimension(please refer to the area marked in red). The video dimension i am giving them is 1024*768 but i doubt they are converting that to 3072*2304. I gave them a video 3072*2304, waiting for them to get back to me.

Thank you
prathyush

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]