FORUMS: list search recent posts

out of memory rending problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gorman
out of memory rending problem
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:38:11 pm

I know my G5 is old, but I've never had this problem before, despite slow rendering. It's urgent because I'm behind on a project I should have completed by now.

The only change in my hardware is that I replaced the video card. I had been using the x800xt, and when the card died, i had to replace it with a slightly slower card, the x800 which has 256 MB vram. I forget what my older faster card had.

I have on my TL about 3 mins. of video, 4 layers of audio, and 4 layers of video.
The actual video is on the base track and the other tracks consist only of some text, the logo as a bug, and a matte under some text. I'm editing in ProRes and the video is 1280 x 720. Some of the clips are 60 fps, others shot at 29.97 fps. The TL is set for 30 fps.

The media is on a striped RAID consisting of two 750GB hard drives which makes a RAID of 15 GB (approx.) I've use a little less than half the capacity of the RAID.

Could this by why I'm getting messages telling it can't render because I'm out of memory? My system memory is 4GB ram.

Despite always having slow rendering, I've never in all my years gotten a message saying I'm out of memory when trying to render. I can't even render a small portion of the TL.

What settings should I check? Right now, I'm moving off some other media from the RAID to make more space available in case that effects how it deals with ram.

The progress bar is telling me it's going to take 2 hrs. to copy a 115 GB file over to a backup drive. I'll cancel it if I find out that making more space on the RAID won't have any effect on how fcp6 deals with rendering and memory.

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1
Sony ZIU hdv, edit w.ProRes

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: out of memory rending problem
on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:27:53 pm

Try deleting all render files for that project using Render Manager, then try re-rendering.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Apr 21, 2015 at 11:30:53 pm

Thank you. I deleted all the render files. Now, as a test, I'm trying to render just one 45 sec. clip - part of the clip that has the logo bug. The progress bar is telling me it will take 2 hours.

I have a couple photoshiip files I recently imported. They are probably way too big, so I'll decrease the psd dpi to 150 instead of 300 dpi and re-import, in case that has anything to do with this. However, I'm not even trying to render those clips now, I'm simply trying to render the logo bug. Should I take the big psd files off the TL? Any other suggestions?

Should I have re-booted. Prior to my first post on this, I had done a DiskWarrior directory defray.

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2015 at 11:44:09 pm

It might very well be those stills. That's the main culprit for that error...large stills. And not DPI wise...that's meaningless in video. it's the dimensions that are important. Anything over 4000 pixels will cause this error. Drop the longest side to 3800, save it, and then see what happens.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Apr 22, 2015 at 12:06:08 am
Last Edited By chris gorman on Apr 22, 2015 at 12:29:58 am

I changed the dimensions on those clips now. I'm tried another test render of a clip that does not even involve those bigger psd files in the render request. Again, after about 20 minutes of render progress, it ended with the message "error - out of memory".

Now, when I click on the jpg or psd files to open them in the viewer, I get a blank green screen instead of the image. This is only happening on the files where I changed the dimensions in photoshop and roundtripped back to the TL.

Return to posts index

Erik Hatch
on Aug 12, 2015 at 11:01:21 pm

I have the same problem. The photos are Jpeg and are smaller than 4000 pixels on any side. It prompts the "out of memory" when i try and render with the photos in the seq. If I remove them, it renders fine.

Return to posts index

Tahoe Todd
on Aug 12, 2015 at 11:21:03 pm

Re-save those jpg's as png's in Photoshop (or another photo editor). Then bring the png's back into FCP and delete the jpg's.

Return to posts index

Erik Hatch
on Aug 13, 2015 at 12:52:52 am

Didn't fix the problem. It's actually crashing FCP too now.

Return to posts index

Tahoe Todd
on Apr 23, 2015 at 3:23:50 pm

Try deleting all unused plug-ins. I had this same issue and discovered that because I had so many plug-ins that were not being used, the entire system was slowed down substantially and I was getting the error. Deleted all the "trial" plug-ins I had installed and everything was back to normal.

Return to posts index

Karel Voners
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:34:47 am

Whenever I encountered that problem I would restart FCP and that would solve the issue.

You can also set in an out points on the sequence and render things out in smaller pieces on the sequence first before your export.
If you export a rendered timeline you basically stitch together all pre-rendered files so no additional rendering is needed.

It can also be corrupted media. Rendering small pieces on the sequence can help you isolate the bad clip.

The green screen you describe happens on every FCP system I have ever worked on...

K.

ps: make sure to change the render settings in the sequence settings to match the settings you need for output.

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Apr 22, 2015 at 8:38:56 pm

Thank you. This is first time I've encountered the green thing with fcp. I booted onto my other hard drive which is a duplicate of all the apps I have on the first one.

Now I have no green screens when working on this hard drive. (But from fcp it won't see my external apps for some reason) Rendering time is more reasonable now - kinda like the usual slow I'd expect.

For safety, I decided to move off some of the media and old projects not related to my current project, so that I have more free space on the RAID. Early this morning I started copying over an approx. 295 GB folder. The progress bar estimated 8 hours I think. About 4 hours ago the progress indicated 124 GB to go.

But now it's 7 hrs. and still it say 4 hours, 124 GB to go. I hope I don't get stuck with not being able to move any unneeded media off this drive. Or.......I hope I don't later get a message that it was not able to complete the operation because not enough memory. I'm on my way out for awhile. If I get back in 4 hours and have the same progress message, maybe I'll have to abandon the attempt and reboot, ugh.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:41:36 pm

Make sure your FCP project isn't larger than 100MB. If it is, delete some unused sequences and media from your project.

Other causes: mp4 or h.264 footage anywhere in you timeline. Stills in CMYK color space instead of RGB.

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Apr 24, 2015 at 6:00:41 am

Thank you. Things are going along ok after I decreased the psd dimensions, and later rebooted. But to avoid future problems, I checked and see that the project size is only 1.1 MB. The psds are rgb, except for the logo bug. When I read your post I discovered that the psd for the logo bug was cymk. The logo bug file size is less than 1MB, so I don't know if the cymk would make a difference with such a small file size. I changed it to rgb to be safe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]