FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam edit workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Shaw
Multicam edit workflow
on Apr 21, 2015 at 5:53:21 pm

I'm just now getting into multicam to add some production value, but one burning question I have is the workflow of it all. I've seen many examples of live events where multicam has been edited together, but not really for a project with multiple takes and edits needing to be done.

So what would be the best workflow if for example I am putting together a project where my footage needs to be edited, trimmed, culled, etc.. Do I first edit my individual clips, pick my favorite scenes, and then make a multicam clip out of those? Or do I make a multicam clip first with all of the raw footage and then edit my footage to final?

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
Re: Multicam edit workflow
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:26:04 pm

I cannot really totally figure out what you are asking, and I am not fully familiar with multiclip in FCPX, but I assume it has the same basic function as in FCP7.

Essentially, only clips that are synced together can be edited in a multiclip. So say you have 3 (or 5 or 10) cameras rolling. If they all have time code, great. If not use a clap board, or a camera flash, some AV marker for syncing clips. Once that is done, it must be done again every time any camera is stopped. NEVER stop cameras when acquiring footage for a multiclip edit. If you have synced time code, this is somewhat different, but you need a new multiclip every time even one camera is stopped. So we did a live concert with time code, I stopped all of the cameras between sets, so each set was it's own multiclip.

Once your multiclip is edited to perfection, right click on it or go to the Modify menu. There is a selection that is "Collapse Multiclip" if you do this you will not need to render the multiclip edit, and it will turn the timeline into essentially a regular edit. You can then insert b-roll and whatnot. You could also nest sequences of finished multiclips. like I said, not 100% on how all this works in X...workflow may be significantly different, but the concept should be similar. Multiclips are their own special animals. I have also dropped other footage on a track above the multiclip when needed.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

Dan Shaw
on Apr 21, 2015 at 11:52:10 pm

Thanks for the Response Rich. So if I hear you correctly, it sounds like creating a multiclip and then timing all of the camera views is done first, then you go inside the multiclip to do any b-roll and further edits. I wish I could find a good video showing me this as I still don't 100% understand.

Maybe using multiclip is overkill for what I want to do then. I am using two DSLR's for my filming. They both have 12 minute max recoding times per file. I was under the assumption that I could have multiple clips in a multiclip and I think that is the case with final cut pro x.

For my situation I am recording a cooking segment. I have one camera as a wide shot on the talent and then another camera that is used for the close up shots. The talent will be making mistakes so we'll be having multiple takes. When recording is done I then import all of my files and this is where I am confused. Let's say I have 6 video clips from my DSLR's and in those 6 clips are good takes and bad ones. Do I create my multiclip first with good and bad takes and then chop up the multiclip to edit out all of the bad stuff? Or do I edit each of those 6 clips first and then sync them together and create a multiclip when I have the good footage all set up.

I hope that makes sense. If I'm not then I think I will just dive into Final Cut Pro and see what comes of it. I was hoping to get a bit of a head start.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:19:03 am

Like I said I am still using FCP7. I did a quick little video that may clear things up a bit. I forgot to mention, because I thought it was obvious. You choose an in point that mark a singular point in time to sync the cameras. I used time code, but if you use a clapboard or camera flash, set in to the frame where board naps or flash is visible in all cameras. That should sync everything. Sorry I am not in 10, but this should still cover the basic concepts. I just decided today to finally upgrade. I use premiere a lot, so I didn't really miss FCP...but the FCP multiclip is far superior, IMHO. Maybe once I've had FCPX awhile i will do a real tutorial. This is just an attempt to help you out. Video is processing now, should be ready any minute.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

Dan Shaw
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:31:29 pm

Wow thank you Rich for taking the time to make that video. That helped a lot. I think I have now a good feel for the process and it's time to dive in and give it a try. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]