FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 output looks faded...whay and what can I do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Kaelin
FCP7 output looks faded...whay and what can I do?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 4:19:32 pm

Greetings,
So I have a major client that has re-branded, and has VERY strict color guidelines. I always warn these folks that video, or any electronic display, is going to vary; it is not print. HOWEVER, when I take the logo they sent me and open it in an image viewer, and place that side by side with a ProRes422HQ movie out put from FCP7, there is a considerable washing of the colors on their logo. This seems to happen only in the very final step. I was able to get back to pretty close by adjusting gamma in squeeze for final MP4 output, but this is far from perfect, as now the people in the video are also crushed a bit.

I have included a sample. The top is from an image I already processed into a still tag. I did that in motion, then exported as a still. I do see an ever so slight difference as I go from output to output. The logo I exported in PhotoShop is possibly ever so slightly different than the one from After Effects. Also, It was an .eps file that my version of Illustrator (CS5) would not open, but PD, AE and everything else will (go figure) So I do think I see a bit of color loss from step to step, but shown here is the final step, which is most dramatic.
Any suggestions to preserve color from step to step?
Anybody want to convert this eps to a large Illustrator CS5 file for me, maybe that would help.

Link to Image: screenshot2015-04-21at11.54.46am.png

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

Rich Kaelin
Re: FCP7 output looks faded...whay and what can I do?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:29:25 pm

UPDATE: I now know there is a known gamma shift in FCP7...does this still exist in FCPX? Apparently 7 is not a "color managed" program, thus the shift. AE and even Premiere do not have this. Unfortunately, the project hardly comes into Premiere nor AE easily.

So, is there a way to correct it? Does FCPX cleanly import FCP7 files, so I could just load and go? I have been meaning to update, so now would be a good time if it solves this issue.

Rich Kaelin
Kaelin Motion Production Services
http://kaelinmotion.com
New York

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]