FORUMS: list search recent posts

Share render files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karel Voners
Share render files?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:15:10 am

I'm working with another editor from a server. Sometimes we pass projects back and forth.

Is it a good idea to create an extra share and share the render files.

I'm wondering if crazy stuff can happen when we both have the same project open….

I don't know how FCP creates and links render files so it's a little bit of a mystery to me…

Cheers,
K.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Share render files?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:50:43 pm

i think it could be trouble,
as each project may create different render files with the same name.

however, if you're rigorous, and work in differently named projects it might be ok.
can you not render to the server?

nick

Return to posts index

Karel Voners
on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:57:42 pm

Hi yes,

Right now we work from a set of network volumes.

I would create a dedicated network volume for the render files where FCP would render to.

We would mount all volumes at the same time, thus if I need to open a project that has been rendered on the other machine I don't need to render again. I would simply connect to the render files on the shared render volume.

I just don't know what would happen if the other one would start to create new render files on the share… I guess I have to experiment a bit...

Cheers,
K.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:00:01 pm

Just have different names for your projects, and the render files will go into separate folders, and when you swap sequences, it'll see the proper render folder.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:00:24 pm

I also think it's asking for trouble. It's too easy for one editor to overwrite the other editor's render files.

Keep it simple--keep the render files on your own machines.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:10:11 am

No...it's not, actually. I did this all the time. Because the projects we worked on locally (never globally)...meaning the projects stored on our computer...had unique names. EVERY ONE...so I might have ANDREW_JACKSON_A....the other editor will have ANDREW_JACKSON_B. And our render folders had those project names. Never had issues with overwriting anothers renders.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]