FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Editing 4K in smaller resolution and conforming it later.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tomas Uher
FCP7 Editing 4K in smaller resolution and conforming it later.
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:30:12 am

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding editing my 4K footage on my FCP7.

What I do now is I transcode the 4K footage (H264) to 4K (ProRes) and edit away on a 1080 sequence - if the delivery asks for 1080.

The problem is that once I render the sequence and decide to change some small things around or add/trim clips, I have to render again for every step that I change and overall it can be very time consuming.

Is there a way to for example transcode the 4K original footage to a 720p small files JUST FOR THE EDIT and then once the sequence is a lock, conform the clips in the sequence back to their original size (4K) and export the sequence in 1080 and 4k in Pro Res?

Any other tips how to make this post production easier are appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP7 Editing 4K in smaller resolution and conforming it later.
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:57:19 am

No, the max frame size of FCP 7 is 2000 pixels wide, or 2K.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tomas Uher
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:59:58 am

I have heard that before too, so how is it that when I import a 4K ProRes 422 file and I drop it to a new sequence and click Yes to match the sequence settings, the sequence is in 4K and when I export the video the video is also in 4K?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:42:07 am

it's easy to get FCP to create a sequence larger than what it will offer in the sequence settings, as you have discovered.
it might not play very well!

the best way forward is probably to create 4k pro-res masters from your h264 files,
then create lower-res versions for editing.
1280x720 ProRes LT is very economical.

but you should talk to whoever is doing the final mastering about this as well.

nick

Return to posts index

Tomas Uher
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:47:01 am

Thanks Nick,

but that would mean that I would have a pro-res Master footage + additional conversion to 720 pro res (just for editing) THUS much more space to chew on a HDD?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:43:54 am

well it wouldn't be THAT much more, as the LT would be a small fraction of the 4k ProRes,
BUT you are right, there could be a better way, it depends on your original h264 footage,
and whether it has accessible TC.

in that case the H264 remains the master

then you could just create offline edit media,
do your cut, and then conform your hi-res version from the h264

what's the source of the H264?
have you maintained the original card structure? that would be important for conforming the shots
are you working with a post house on this?

nick

Return to posts index

Tomas Uher
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:56:33 am

Hey Nick,

no I am not working with any post production house, it's just me.

The original files are .mov
4096 x 2160
H.264, Linear PCM, Timecode
HD (1-1-1)

It's from a Lumix GH4.

In the original card structure, there is nothing more than the footage/to import or Log in FCP7, just like I did with a 5D in the past, so that's why I am going about it this way..So i only have the original H264 footage as well as my converted one.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:49:50 am

Personally I would download Resolve Lite, bring in your footage and edit it in Resolve at 4k.

Alternatively have Resolve make smaller proxies (1280 x 720 ProResLT) and edit in FCP7. Export an xml and open in Resolve and reconnect to the 4k H264 files. Finish, grade and output without needing to constantly render. Resolve is rapidly becoming a great finishing tool and the lite version is absolutely free.

No need to also render ProRes4k files so much less storage required. Also Resolve 12 will be out in a few months and the editing features more than rival FCP7

Return to posts index

Tomas Uher
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:59:31 am

Thanks for the tip Michael,

I have just recently downloaded Resolve Lite so I am still learning all the tips and trades of such a great program.

But when I was just goofing around and did tests with just three shots, exporting an XML from final cut and such, the result video from Resolve was always in inferior quality than what I exported from FCP7.

Would you mind giving me a step by step guide on how to navigate this process?

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]