FORUMS: list search recent posts

XAVC-S to FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roni Sokolov
XAVC-S to FCP 7?
on Apr 12, 2015 at 8:33:42 pm

Hi,
I've recently begun shooting video with Sony's alpha 7 mrk ii. I can record video in AVCHD but wanted to check the better encoder XAVC-S. I'm working with FCP 7 and it does not recognize the file (although I can still play the file with QT on my computer...).
I searched online and found several external software that can convert XAVC-S to ProRes 422 (all around $40-50). Someone recommended EditReady by Divergent Media to me. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, but will be happy to try another one (or another solution..). Does anyone have experience with such conversions?
Does Sony work on a plug-in for FCP 7 (like the one for FCP 10???)

Many thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XAVC-S to FCP 7?
on Apr 13, 2015 at 1:33:19 am

There are no plugins for FCP 7 as it was discontinued 4 years ago. EditReady will work, as will Resolve Lite (free).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roni Sokolov
on Apr 13, 2015 at 9:36:55 am

Hi Shane,
Thanks a lot! I will look into the two options.

I really need to understand that:
If I use XAVC in FCP X or Premier Pro (where it is native), would the end result - in terms of quality - be better than converting XAVC to ProRes with an external software?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:49:04 pm

Not really. ProRes is a very high quality codec. By the time you end up delivering your product to the web, or TV, or BluRay...where you're compressing the end result by quite a bit, there's no way to tell if you edited native, or converted to ProRes or DNxHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roni Sokolov
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:46:10 pm

Thanks so much Shane!

Return to posts index

Roni Sokolov
on Apr 13, 2015 at 8:12:03 pm

After exporting the MP4 into DaVinci, I don't get audio...This is a bit problematic for me since I'm recording sound directly to the camera and I cannot open the original XAVC-S files in FCP 7. So it means I don't have access to the audio (well, I can still export the audio from the QT player and then sync the audio file with the ProRes a , but that just seems too much hustle). Is there a way to get the audio into DaVinci as well?

Just to be on the safe side... in my camera I see a folder with both the video file (like C0001.MP4) and XML file (C0001M01.XML). I took the MP4 files to DaVinci. Is that right? Do I need to use the XML too?

Thanks a lot for your help here

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 13, 2015 at 8:25:30 pm

Sorry, someone else will have to answer that. I haven't used Resolve to convert dailies. I've always dealt with formats that Avid can import directly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Roni Sokolov
on Apr 13, 2015 at 8:29:41 pm

OK, thanks Shane :-)

Return to posts index

chris king
on Dec 9, 2015 at 8:44:54 am

Haven’t tried EditReady yet, but found there are some other tools can also do the XAVC S to ProRes conversion job. And here is the Sony a7ii xavc s to FCP workflow I found out online.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]