FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor quality export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahilan Ratnamohan
Poor quality export
on Apr 12, 2015 at 7:02:38 pm

Hi,

I'd been working on an edit of a dance-theatre performance and I think along the line I (or one of my daughters) have altered some settings because the export (using the standard Vimeo settings) is of pretty shocking quality. here
I tried starting a new project and exporting the same part of the performance and it is much better, here.

I was about to start the edit again, but thought I'd check here as it is probably something really simple in the settings, which I don't know much about.

Can anyone see what the issue might be based on these images?

Thanks for any help,

Ahil

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Poor quality export
on Apr 13, 2015 at 1:31:59 am

Well, lets start with the basics. What format did you shoot? What codec did you convert to? What are your sequence settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:16:47 am

This is perhaps the problem: I don't shoot and am not at all up to speed with the codecs etc... I just edit. My video guy shot it with a Canon 7D or 5D not sure. I get "MVI_XXX.MOV" & "MVI_XXX.THM" files from him and I just drag and drop into the timeline (Final Cut Pro 7), it always says that the sequence settings in the sequence are different from those in the file, would I like to change it to match the file.

So I don't use any codecs. On that topic, should I be using another method?

Anyway I just checked the settings and that seems to be, at least the first, problem.

This clip was somehow changed to 720x480.

But while we're at it, these are the settings I normally work with.
Are there things I should be setting differently?
These edits are mostly just for posting on Vimeo, but I do usually make a copy to export to DVD.

Thanks for your help for these very beginner questions.

Ahil

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:32:16 am

Yeah, you have a lot of issues going on. And part of this is due to the fact that you don't know about video codecs, and you don't know really how to use FCP. Sure, you might know how to edit...how to tell a story, but there's more to it than that...you need to know about the technical aspects too...codecs and all that.

First off...those cameras shoot to the H.264 codec. FCP doesn't edit that codec well at all...you need to convert the footage before you bring it into FCP. It needs to be converted to ProRes 422. Normally this is done with the Log and Transfer tool in FCP....here's the workflow for that:

But this requires first that the full card structure is backed up and maintained. And it also requires a Canon 5D log and transfer plugin that Canon no longer makes available, since FCP 7 was discontinued 4 years ago. So you'll need to convert with Compressor (there are presets for ProRes 422), or MPEG STREAMCLIP, or EditReady. And yes, the file sizes will increase dramatically...this is normal. H.264 is too compressed for FCP do deal with...it needs it to be ProRes 422.

So that's only part of your problem. The other part is that your sequence settings are set to DV...a low end Standard Definition setting, and you shot High Def. The sequence should be ProRes 422. You can try to make it ProRes, render the footage to ProRes...and then try to export. That's a band-aid way to deal with this. But you have painted yourself into a corner because your sequence is DV, and all of your footage is scaled to fit.

First you need to make a new sequence. Then, drop a clip into that sequence and click YES when it asks if you want the settings to match. THEN, you need to go into the Sequence Settings and change the COMPRESSOR from H.264 to ProRes 422. Then, you need to copy and paste your footage from the DV sequence and paste it into this one. Then you need to highlight all your footage, and REMOVE ATTRIBUTES...basic Motion. it's a right-click...or somewhere in the menus...not sure where. Been a while since I used it.

But then after you do that, you should be able to render (to ProRes) and then maybe the export will work. It's possible it won't, because your footage is still H.264, and FCP doesn't like that format.

Good luck

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Apr 13, 2015 at 7:47:50 am

Wow. Thanks for the very detailed guide.

For this time round I'm just going to stick to the way I've done it til now. The results to date have served my purpose. But it's good to know all this for the next time.

Thanks again,

Ahil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]