Pulldown issue & duplicate frames with old SD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Moore
Pulldown issue & duplicate frames with old SD footage
on Apr 6, 2015 at 11:06:42 pm

Hello all,

Here's the situation:

I have a 40 minute .avi file of raw footage shot back in 2008. (Panasonic DVX-100a) The project has been completed for years, but I wanted to do a redux edit in FCP7.

My problem is this: no matter how I transcode this original file, it duplicates (either by interlacing or straight up duplicating) every fourth frame in FCP7. I know this is a pulldown issue, but I'm just not sure how to resolve it.

Funny thing is, the original final EXPORTED version of the project (initially completed in 2008 using Sony Vegas) doesn't have any duplication issues whatsoever. It's pure progressive 24p, 24 frames every second.

Here are the specs for the raw footage file, as seen in QT:

Any suggestions/workflow ideas for getting this old footage to agree with FCP7?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Pulldown issue & duplicate frames with old SD footage
on Apr 7, 2015 at 3:55:39 am

That "raw" clip says it's 29.97fps. So if it's 24p, it's 24p with pulldown. Seen on an interlaced capable monitor (HDTV), it'll look fine, just have a few interlaced frames. Seen on a progressive only monitor, frames will repeat.

What was this captured with initially? A PC, obviously, as it is an AVI file, a PC format. Macs use MOV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:31:30 am

Thanks Shane. Since it's AVI does that mean what I'm trying to do isn't possible?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:34:15 am

NOT sure what Vegas did when you exported...but the raw file is 30fps, not true 24. Do you still have the tape? You can recapture that with FCP and remove the pulldown when you capture to make it true 24p...a 23.98 file.

But converting what you have...you might be able to do this with Compressor too. Just go into the Inspector, FRAME CONTROLS tab and remove pulldown.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:57:22 am
Last Edited By Kyle Moore on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:57:47 am

Thanks again Shane. In researching how to use Compressor to remove pulldown, I encountered the following link:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-do...

Worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]