FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro CineForm and FCP7 workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriola Popescu
GoPro CineForm and FCP7 workflow
on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:34:23 pm

Hi folks,

I could use some help with my workflow. My footage is a mixture of DSLR 1080P and a range of GoPro formats (4k, 2700, slo-mo, etc.) I am cutting in FCP7 because 1) I plan to use Color, which is my favorite grading tool and the project requires a lot of arty cc and 2) I'm more familiar with it.

I used GoPro Studio to convert to movs, remove the fisheye, and get the flat ProTune look. Now FCP doesn't like the CIneForm codec at all and I keep getting "out of memory errors" (I have a brand-new Powerbook). I was thinking of putting all my selects into one big sequence AppleProRes 444 and exporting it and just using that as my new source footage. The DSLR footage was transcoded to Apple 422. Storage is not an issue and I'd rather not mess with uprezzing later.

Will all this exporting and transcoding cause my footage to degrade? Any other suggested workflows?

I need the best source material possible because the color correction will be very intensive. I will also be applying a bunch of FCP filters, doing blow-ups, repos, cropping, etc.
Many thanks for your feedback!

Gaby

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GoPro CineForm and FCP7 workflow
on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:41:36 pm

Yes, sorry. CIneform doesn't work in FCP. FCP only works with codecs found in the EASY SETUP list. So you gotta go ProRes 422.

ProRes 444 is WAY WAY OVERKILL for GoPro footage. All you'll gain in using that over ProRes 422 are really large file sizes. GoPro shoots 8 bit H.264 files. You get no gain in quality by going ProRes 444. Best to stick to ProRes 422.

If you can avoid it...don't convert to Cineform THEN convert to ProRes...that'll degrade. Convert directly to ProRes 422. MPEG STREAMCLIP, COMPRESSOR, EDITREADY do this. And then if you want to make it smooth slow motion (say 120fps to 30fps)...use Cinema Tools.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gabriola Popescu
on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:19:18 pm

Thanks, Shane. I just tried converting the GoPro in Compressor, but it's coming out all contrasty instead of having the flat ProTune look. Do you know how to get around that?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:30:03 pm

Try EditReady...they should have a demo available. I use that for my GoPro footage. Also see if MEPG STREAMCLIP (free) keeps things right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason O'Hara
on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:32:21 pm

"If you can avoid it...don't convert to Cineform THEN convert to ProRes...that'll degrade."

How then to also "remove fish-eye" from the GoPro footage? is there any process for converting the .mp4 straight to ProRes while also accomplishing this? or alternatively, a plug-in for FCP 7 that will remove fish-eye from the ProRes?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]