FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Sizes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
File Sizes?
on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:52:55 pm

Just finished editing a video for a client, They are saying that the ProRes file I gave them is "too small"
I edited this show in a Pre-res sequence from a Canon c300.

Their settings request is as follows:

ProRes 422 .MOV

Quality: “Best Quality”
Key Frame Rate: Auto
Frame Reordering: Yes
Encoding Mode: Multi-pass
Dimensions: 1920x1080
Audio:
Format: AAC

I just exported my prores sequence from FCP 7. Even looking at compressor I don't see a way of making a ProRes file that has options for Frame re-ordering or Multi-pass. Any thoughts?
Sample Rate: 48:000 kHz
Channels: Stereo (L R)
Bit rate: 128 kbps

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: File Sizes?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 1:52:58 am

[Greg Ball] "I just exported my prores sequence from FCP 7."

Not enough info provided Greg... You told us the specs they want, but not the specs you were working with.

Precisely how did you export? (You may assume we know the steps, but we don't know your steps.)

And, what precisely were the timeline settings before you exported?

Finally, what are the precise specs of the media you were editing from the Canon camera? (You said it was on a Pro Res timeline, but you made no reference to the media itself.)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:26:28 am

Hi David,
Thanks for replying. I exported using current settings. My timeline settings are:
1920X1080
Square Aspect Ratio
Pro Res 422 Compressor
Render all YUV in high precision YUV
Codec Apple Pro Res.

We shot using a C300 at 1920 X1080 and used log and transfer to bring it in at 1920X 1080 Pro Res 422.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:58:04 am

It sounds like you've done everything 100% correctly Greg. Unless they need, or think they need, a Pro Res HQ master, I can't imagine what they want.

It is possible they might be using another, perhaps more modern encoder, like Sorenson, with more options than Compressor, but short of that, I don't think any of the knowledgeable editors here would have done things any differently than you've done.

So, I think you need to quiz the client for more info to determine precisely what they think they need.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 2, 2015 at 2:04:14 pm

When they say the pro res file is "too small", do the mean the physical size of the file in megabits is too small, or that the viewed image is too small? How are they viewing that image? What system and codec?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:06:03 pm

Hi Mark,

They were saying that the Pro-Res file size was too small.

Here's what they wrote a: "your file and it looks great but does not meet the specs needed by our client. Not large enough for required ProRes."

I don't know how they're viewing this, but I expect it's a mac based system.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:47:19 pm

I think the person you're dealing with is confused. If you are able to get them to clarify what they perceive as an issue, please do share with us - I can't wait to hear this one.

Since the bitrate of each of the Pro Res versions is essentially set in stone and not user definable, it simply makes no sense. It would be like saying we want Avid DNX 135 to be the same file size as DNX 185.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re:David File Sizes?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:07:10 pm

Thank you David. Thank HelpsThere was never any mention of a ProResHQ file in any of their specs.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: David File Sizes?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:50:07 pm

Sounds like codec ignorance on their part to me.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: David File Sizes?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 6:32:23 pm

It's the first time I've EVER heard a client complain a file size was TOO SMALL;-)

I wonder if they are looking at some kind of thumbnail file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]